In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1847 colt walker

swiftyswifty Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
I just got this gun.Can anyone tell me what the true markings for this gun would be

Comments

• swiftyswifty Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got this gun.Can anyone tell me what the true markings for this gun would be. It is a colt walker 1847
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya got some pictures to post? If it's an import, this link will get you to an article that will tell you how to translate the markings:
    https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/POWDER/MBPProofmarks.pdf.

If it's a 2nd Gen Colt, The cylinder is roll engraved with an Ormsby designed Ranger and Indian fight scene with "MODEL U.S.M.R>" and "COLT'S PATENT" forming a cartouche that surrounds the serial number. The entire serial number is stamped on the frame, barrel, wedge, backstrap, trigger guard, cylinder, cylinder pin (Arbor) and pencil or pen inscribed within trh backstrap channel of the walnut grip. "ADDRESS. SAML COLT NEW YORK CITY" is roll engraved on the top flat of the barrel and reads toward the muzzle. "U S" over "1847" is stamped on the right side of the barrel lug directly above the wedge. Typically "COLT'S/PATENT" is not stamped on the frame. On the rare 5 digit serial number variation, however "COLT'S/PATENT" is stamped on the left side of the frame.

Markings on SIgnature Series Walkers were the same with the addition of "SAM COLT" signature on the backstrap.

Serial numbers of the 2nd Gens went from 1200 to 3772, and 32256 to 32500
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ken44-40
    Ya got some pictures to post? If it's an import, this link will get you to an article that will tell you how to translate the markings:
    https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/POWDER/MBPProofmarks.pdf.

If it's a 2nd Gen Colt, The cylinder is roll engraved with an Ormsby designed Ranger and Indian fight scene with "MODEL U.S.M.R>" and "COLT'S PATENT" forming a cartouche that surrounds the serial number. The entire serial number is stamped on the frame, barrel, wedge, backstrap, trigger guard, cylinder, cylinder pin (Arbor) and pencil or pen inscribed within trh backstrap channel of the walnut grip. "ADDRESS. SAML COLT NEW YORK CITY" is roll engraved on the top flat of the barrel and reads toward the muzzle. "U S" over "1847" is stamped on the right side of the barrel lug directly above the wedge. Typically "COLT'S/PATENT" is not stamped on the frame. On the rare 5 digit serial number variation, however "COLT'S/PATENT" is stamped on the left side of the frame.

Markings on SIgnature Series Walkers were the same with the addition of "SAM COLT" signature on the backstrap.

Serial numbers of the 2nd Gens went from 1200 to 3772, and 32256 to 32500

Ken - Your link doesn't work. Could you please check it and repost? Thanks.
    edited November -1
    Thanks Spider - dont know what happened - It worked when I posted it.

Lets try again

https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/POWDER/MBPProofmarks.pdf
    edited November -1
    I just tried the reposted link - it worked (for now) - cant understand why the first posting didnt
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ken44-40
    I just tried the reposted link - it worked (for now) - cant understand why the first posting didnt

I think it was the period at the end of your first link. This worked fine - thanks!