In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

t/c hawken barrel

kenny550kenny550 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
Can anyone tell me where one can buy a 20ga. black powder barrel that will fit on a t/c hawken 50 cal. stock.

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can drill out a .50 barrel and make it into a shotgun barrel. I am not sure if there is enough metal to make a 20 gauge.
    I had it done once by my buddy who ran a machine shop. I bought a .540 drill bit at the hardware store, he welded it onto a 30 inch steel rod, and he chucked the long drill bit, and the barrel, into this big green machine, and it turned the thing into a .540 smoothbore.
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was always told that a .54 caliber black powder rifle barrel could be loaded as a twenty gauge shotgun with no problem.

What ever.

Bode
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,222 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 20 gauge barrel has a diameter of .615
    A 28 gauge barrel has a diameter of .550

So, mine is about a 30 gauge.
    The barrel is 15/16 across the flats, which is .937
    I imagine you could drill it out to .615

Better go over to Ask the Experts and talk to gunsmith guys who know more about shotguns than I do, 'cause I don't know much.
  • kspairkspair Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may be my imagination but it seems like TC at one time marketed a drop in shotgun barrel for the Hawken or maybe Green Mtn made one. GM doesn't list one on their current site but you might contact the companies and check it out. Also, call Track of the Wolf. They would know if anything like that is or was out there.

There are/were some companies that made up to 69 cal Hawken barrels which with the rifling removed would fill the bill. Check with TOW.
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Kenny550,

I have a T/C Hawken, .50, with a badly pitted barrel. I have been thinking of putting a new Green Mountain barrel on it but have not been able to come up with the funds.

It would probably work fine for a shotgun barrel or you could, as suggested, have it reamed out. Just a thought. If you are interested let me know.

Bode