In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bolt action?

wheeless621wheeless621 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
When I was younger, I used to shoot my fathers black powder muzzle loader and his cap and ball revolver. I have now decided to buy a black powder rifle for the black powder season here in Texas. I just wanted to ask, how do you load a bolt action black powder rifle. I haven't bought one yet, but I want a rifle with factory scope mounts already tapped and all the ones I have seen are bolt action.

Comments

• Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On in-line actions, the "bolt" is really a striker, or a striker in a sleeve. You load the powder charge and, usually, some sort of trick bullet with a belt or a sabot, then retract the "bolt", put a percussion cap on the nipple or a 209 shotgun primer in its recess, close the "bolt" and fire.
    Don't forget to clean thoroughly after you're done shooting.
  • Options
    wheeless621wheeless621 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,226 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the inlines come drilled and tapped. I bought a bolt action because it reminded me of the cartridge guns that I am so familiar with.
    There is no inherent advantage to a bolt action inline. If you don't want a bolt action, the TC Omega would be a good gun to buy.
    The loading procedures for a bolt action and the Omega are virtually the same.