In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Norinco "replica" 1897 trench guns

82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
Anyone familiar with the Norinco "trench gun" shotguns? Are they junk or would one make a servicible shooter? They seem to be available for @ $400 all day long, versus an original, which seem to be between $1100 and $4,000.00. And I am not sure I would want to shoot up a "collectible" piece.I think they look cool, and would be fun to play with. Any opinions? Especially if you actually have a Norinco, would be greatly appreciated. If you have on, did you have to do any "tuning' to make it better?
Thanks!
Mike

Comments

• tecdactecdac Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Mike

I don't have a Norinco but I suffered with the same question a little more than a year ago.

If you are thinking about using it for Cowboy Action Shooting I would encourage you to go to a local match first and start asking questions. You'll probably find more than one cowboy that want to take you under their wing.

I ended up buying 3 of 4 guns from posse members and I have been really happy with the deals they gave me.

I ended up buying an original Winchester 97 for $300. It's not a collector, it's a shooter.

Hope this helps.

David
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Norinco's are good, serviceable replicas, and as you say, a lot cheaper than an original. You wouldn't find a trench gun replica at a CAS shoot, they were later in history, except maybe at a Wild Bunch match. I wouldn't hesitate to get one. Lube the action well and shoot it a lot, they will smooth up with use. Also, any 'smith familiar with '97's can tune them to sing.
    I really like the "US" and ordinance bomb marking on these, nice detail.
  • 82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ummm....where do they have reviews of these weapons on the GB side??
    edited November -1
    No reviews there. I don't know what he's refering to unless it's that the Trench 97's there are closer to $500.
    Some of these guys are missing the point that you want a "Trench Gun" and not just a shootable 97 of any configuration. And you are not using this for CAS. Maybe they don't know the difference?
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, this is a "Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting" forum. A reasonable assumption I'd guess. Why not post this on the "Ask the Experts" forum if it's not related to black powder or Cowboy Action Shooting.

Bode
    edited November -1
    Here's some links to some reviews:

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-41153.html

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-82770.html

I suppose he posted here because CAS shooters would have the most experiance with chinese 97's and could give him an idea of how well they work. But he's looking for a trench gun, can't afford an original because they cost over $1000. So telling him to find an original is not helpful.
  • 82trooper82trooper Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I had previously posted on the 'ask the experts' side, and they suggested I post my question here. I was simply looking for opinions on the Chinese made shotguns. I did not mean to confuse the issue. Thanks to all who took the time to reply.
    cheers!
    Mike
  • XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought 3 for my shop. Sold 2 and have one left. No complaints from the first 2 buyers. one has over 1500 rounds thru his and likes it quite well. They are 309.00 have a choke tube and walnut stock. They are T.T.N.'s. DEin2000ataol.com
  • frontkampferfrontkampfer Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too, am interested in the Norinco Trench Guns. I am also new to shot guns. I don't hav a lot of $ to spend and I kind of thought this gun while "historical" has a good price. Any advice ans suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!
  • gunprofitgunprofit Member Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have an original Win 97. As everyone probably knows, you can hold back the trigger and pump away, shooting as you pump it. The hammer falls as long as you hold the trigger back. Can go through a lot of rounds quick. My problem was that when I did that, most of the time the hammer would take a chunk of skin out of the web of my hand if I didn't pay attention and hold on tight. I don't know if the Norinco guns operate that way.