In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tradition 50Cal Hawkin

sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
I purchased a Traditins 50 cal Hawkin, left handed precussion back a few years ago. I loved the looks of it and hung it in my study.

Truth be known I have been very timid about firing the rifle because of the stories I have heard about the dangers of black powder. I hope to learn more about this gun in this forum and how learn the basics of operating it safely.

Any help will be appreciated.

Sig232

Comments

• don coledon cole Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    there is really nothing to it take it to a gunsmith and get it checked out first then go to well like dixie gun works and get there shooting manual read that get your equpment and go have fun i hunt with the same rifle and have taken 3 deer an elk several bear and several mountian lions with it
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Thanks Don, can you give me some idea as to the effective range for this rifle, for deer. I'm guessing, maybe 100-150 yards?

Sig232
    NRA Patron Member
  • realtree2realtree2 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if this post has been checked in a while but I'll lend my 2 cents.

I have a traditions .50 also and it is one of the finer weapons own. I would put that gun up against any other at distances up to and including 200 yards with just my open sights. When I am deer hunting I use a 365 grain Remington bulled with 100 grains of FFg Clean Shot or Elephant powder behind it. At 200yds. it has more than enough velocity and knockdown power to take a whitetail.
  • bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Still don't know if this has been checked but I also have one that I bought for my son. He used it in 4-H competition with great results. He won first at the county shoot and fifth in state with this gun. These are as accurate as any I have seen. I have shot this gun myself( to sight in for my son ) and at 25 yards it will shoot into the same hole all day and at 50 yards there is not much difference. Great gun..... Bull
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you purchased it new and it's been hanging on your wall for a few years, I say, "It's high time to take her down and shoot it!"

Any gun shop can give [read: sell] you anything and everything you need.

If you did not buy it new and want to have it checked out they have (or can get you in touch with) a gunsmith who can check it out. Go out and have fun. BP is a lot of fun ... though it does take some tinkering.

I'm a lefty, too, and shoot a T/C Omega 50 - a modern inline muzzle loader - no problem for a lefty. I am about to get a Hopkins & Allen Underhammer kit for a more primitive BP gun for a lefty or righty!
  • BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Your traditions is probably rifled about 1:48 twist which makes it a roundball or possibly a maxi ball gun. You'll probably find that sabots and projos made for inlines, with higher twist rates won't group well. Round balls are lighter, a .50 round ball is around 150 grains, a .50 maxiball I'm thinking around 250. Either of these should go out 150 yards or so. You will probably find that a patched round ball will be the most accurate.

The Brits, at the battle of Saratoga, were a little miffed that their Colonel (I think) got picked off at about 300 yards by a colonial sniper. People aren't as tough as deer but it goes to show the range of a small cal round ball and the accuracy of a similar gun which was made entirely by hand, lock, stock and barrel.