In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

loading Pyrodex in 45colt info please.

Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
A cas buddy bought,and wants to load,some Pyro for his cas guns.
I"ve read that you load so there is 10% compression of the load,so that the case is full at all times and compressed by the bullet.

Do we have to use a card wad or maybe a grease cookie over the powder,or does that depend on the lube used on the boolits?
They would prolly be shot up within 3 days of loading if that matters.

Dillon says 'no pyro' in their measures but Hodgdons says testign has proved 'no problem' doint this.For safety I think we'll dipper the Pyro......Your thoughts on this.?

Thanks for any and all input,gang.

Comments

• R D HenryR D Henry Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Mort, let's see if I can help you some. <Disclaimer> I hate Pyrodex, it's nasty! [xx(]

That said, lube will depend on the bullet. If you're going to use your regular cast lead pill, then go with a grease cookie. If you have access to some big lube bullets, no cookie. With real BP, and in 45's, I'm dumping 28gr (volume) of 2F Schuetzen, grease cookie (about 1/4" thick), and a 200gr bullet. You never said what caliber he's shooting, so these numbers ain't the Holy Grail! [:)]

Dillon's giving you the basic lawyer disclaimer. I've loaded 777 for the past 2 years in my 550, and I know plenty of guys around here that throw real BP out of their machines. So far there haven't been any catastrophic failures! [;)]

The only word of caution...don't use a lubed felt wad (like cap and ball) in the case, let em sit a spell, then expect them to go bang! A buddy of mine tried that approach, after I told him not to, and most of em just went ppppffffftttt! [:D] [:0]

Good luck! [;)]
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info,R D.
    He is shooting 45's...of course(lol)...and I believe he's using 200 grain bullets..hopefully big lube.

I believbe ya on the Dillon,I don't think Hodgdon would say it's ok if it wasn't.

thanks again,Pard.