In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

shooting lead

bk_punisherbk_punisher Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
I was wondering if anyone had any advice
is there any harm with lead round coated with butter
or a copper jacket round with sabot.
i ask because a guy told me to buy a furnace and melt old wheel weights to make heads then all i have to do is coat them with butter lube and there we go cheap ammo
any advice

Comments

• OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    patched "LEAD" round balls have been in use since the invention of the BP musket.

T/C makes a lead conical that is coated in bore butter i have used them.

I dont know of any reason why you couldn't get do as you said. Word to the wize, melting lead and casting your own bullets is cheap, but also hazardous to your health there is a wealth of helpful info that can be obtained on the internet regarding such process's, read up on it just for saftey sake.
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi. I don't think the current wheel weights are lead. Some other alloy, zink? kirksite? Old weights are a mixture of lead, tin, and antimony. If tempered can be very hard.
  • kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    skip the wheel weight...too hard as it is an alloy...go to your local scrap yard and buy pure soft...decent test is to use your thumb nail..and cut a deep goove into it..if you can do it with ease then it should be okay..if not..dont use it,,,i use a 50/50 combo of pure bees wax and crisco...but that will depend on the temp of the area your using it in
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will have to buy a pot to melt the lead in, and a bullet mold.
    If you are not going to shoot a lot you will just find it cheaper to buy round balls. They are pretty cheap.