In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.32/40

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
just ordered a .32/40 hi-wall from cdnn, anybody have any pet loads?
well, it just came in, and it looks like it should shoot.
3240.jpg

Comments

• TimothyTimothy Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    600lbs of cordite is a good plinking load. Work up slowly.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "600lbs of cordite is a good plinking load. Work up slowly."...I was thinking of nitrated charcoal briquets and 30 ga. grease drums filled with concrete....any more ideas[xx(]
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ken Waters says 15 grains of IMR4227 and a 181 gr cast bullet is a good target load; 13 grains is a "light" target load.
    I don't have a .32-40 but 14 gr IMR4227 and a cast bullet is good in .30-30.

What kind of high wall are you getting from CDNN? I don't see one in their current PDF.
    edited November -1
    '""What kind of high wall are you getting from CDNN? I don't see one in their current PDF."....1885 Limited ? High Wall Lever Single Shot ? 32-40 ? 28" Octagon Barrel ? Tang Sight ? Straight Grip Walnut Stock ? Steel Buttplate ? Half Cock Safety
    #WIN534098166L $1299.99"

they also have these in .38/55
  • MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A very close friend has a similar (older) rifle to yours, it is very accurate, you would be surprised how well it shoots. I am going to be talking to him and see if he'll spill his "super secret target load". This is all he does with it, targets that is, I guess it would make a fairly good deer rifle, if you were in the right stand. No sense using a 30/378 on a white tail, if your maximum shot is going to be 80 yards!
    edited November -1
    "No sense using a 30/378 on a white tail, if your maximum shot is going to be 80 yards!"... 80 yards!, hell I'm set up for 16,000 yards....now if I could just afford the first shot[:D]
  • 38anup38anup Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    25 grains of imr 3031 under hornady 170 grain jacketed (close to old hi-velocity loads)
    14 grains of imr4227 under 170 grain lead (near factory load)
    standard winchester loads were 1440 fps with hi-velocity loads around 1800 fps
    edited November -1
    38anup...thanks for the data, I'll give it a 'shot'[:D].
  • 38anup38anup Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike no problem.If you need/want more info I can scan and email it to you.I took the rear barrel sight off mine and replaced it with a marbles folding rear. That way I can flip up whatever sight I want to use.