In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

clueless about black powder, where to start?

jwl1278jwl1278 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
I have a black powder rifle that I inherited from my father but I dont know anything about how to load it and I dont know anyone who can teach me. Are there any good manuals that tell you what to do?

Comments

• mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get on line and order yourself a Lyman Black Powder Manual. It tells all.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of rifle is it?
  • jwl1278jwl1278 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    What kind of rifle is it?

BMI Connecticut Valley Arms : Bobcat
    made in Spain
    It has a hexagon barrel and synthetic stock.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are some guys discussing your rifle.

http://thehunterslife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580

It is a cheapo, but that doesn't mean you couldn't make a good deer rifle out of it.
    It has the 1:48 twist. This is designed to get good accuracy with all projectiles, from Lee REAl bullets, to saboted bullets such as the Hornady 250 SST, and the patched round ball.

I suggest you start out with the classic patched round ball.
    This is what the pioneers like Davy Crockett used. I assure you the patched round ball is very effective on deer and wild hogs.
    They are fun to shoot, and the cheapest way to shoot!
    Get some .490 round balls, a pound of ffg black powder and off you go!

As mbsams said, get the Lyman Black Powder Manual.
  • jwl1278jwl1278 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure that I will ever hunt with it but just having it got me interested in how to use it. Thanks for your help.
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    THE thing to learn FIRST is to clean it right after shooting it.Depending on the powder used,some rust in hours,some form rust almost in minutes.!
    Do get a manual that shows how to clean and load the gun,the Lyman's is great.
  • sockssocks Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Mort said!!
  • bronshtbronsht Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where are you locate? Ranges have black powder shoots. bronsht
  • dsgentledsgentle Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, I own that same CVA model. Only wish mine had the wood stock that it was available with. Have shot the gun a few times, it is a good beginner one although not "the top of the line." Good luck. The Lyman manual is good.quote:Originally posted by jwl1278
    I have a black powder rifle that I inherited from my father but I dont know anything about how to load it and I dont know anyone who can teach me. Are there any good manuals that tell you what to do?
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use Hogdgon Triple 7 powder and the clean up goes a whole lot easier!
  • Scout53Scout53 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suggest that you go to the National Muzzleloading Rifle Assoc. web site.
    Muzzleloading is a great experience.
    I hope this helps.
  • Walley19Walley19 Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up a new in box Bobcat for next to nothing a few years ago. With the synthetic stock I found it muzzle heavy and had a kick was a bit uncomfortable. To bring the balance back to three inches in front of the trigger guard I filled the hollow stock with expanding foam insulation and put in two iron bars weaning a total of 14 ounces. Now the kick, using 80 grains of Pyrodex RS and a slip on recoil pad, is down to that of a 22 long rifle. In the last three years I have filled my deer tags using it with round balls. The season before last I took a 10-point buck at 120 yards and now my high priced inline is a cabinet queen and is only used for target practice and the occasional coyote. A great little gun for both the beginner and the more experienced black powder nut.
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mbsams
    Get on line and order yourself a Lyman Black Powder Manual. It tells all.

+1