In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

loose balls

desertsubedesertsube Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
I have a tompson center arms black diamond 50 cal. I am new to muzzle loading and need some advice. I bought 490 50 cal ballsfrom hornady but they seem to go in to easy. Is this normal or should i goto a a bigger ball? Is there a bigger ball? Thank you, Dave

Comments

• oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave, do some research and studying first..Round balls require patches. If you're using conical bullets of some type, they need to be snug in the barrel. You must have received a manual with the rifle. It should tell you what you need. Don't jump into shooting without knowing how it's done safely, but DO learn and enjoy.
  • desertsubedesertsube Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I Did read manual and have read alot online and it says round balls with a patch should fit tightly. Im Not new at firearms just muzzleloaders. Anymore info would be great!
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you know the rate of twist for your rifle. As I recall, the Black Diamond is an inline that is designed for conical slugs or sabots.
    Still it will shoot round balls, probably not as accurately as the other two loads.
    Yes there are different sized balls, there is a .495
    Also, the patches come in different thicknesses. Most rifles will use the .490 if you use the patch of the proper thickness. See what thickness your patch is and find a thicker one.
    The ball should be so tight that you need a short starter to get it into the bore, that is, you would be unable to start it with fingers or the palm of your hand.
    What kind of patch lube are you using?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Do you know the rate of twist for your rifle. As I recall, the Black Diamond is an inline that is designed for conical slugs or sabots.
    Still it will shoot round balls, probably not as accurately as the other two loads.
    Yes there are different sized balls, there is a .495
    Also, the patches come in different thicknesses. Most rifles will use the .490 if you use the patch of the proper thickness. See what thickness your patch is and find a thicker one.
    The ball should be so tight that you need a short starter to get it into the bore, that is, you would be unable to start it with fingers or the palm of your hand.
    What kind of patch lube are you using?
    I am using the t/c prelubed patch that is made for the gun. Patch material 7030 made for 490 balls I think my twist is 1/28. Even my sabots are a little lose. I got this gun free from a coworker who only shot it like 15 times. He gave it to me because he got a sabot stuck in it because he didnt unload it after a hunt and he left it for a year. I got it cleaned up nicely the rifleing looks great and i have it clean enough that the cleaning patch comes out very clean. t/c recomends .490 balls i will try a thicker patch and see how that does if not will try a .495 ball. Thanks allen for the help.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 1:28 twist is not designed for round balls. Try a sabot or a conical with this rifle for best accuracy.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    A 1:28 twist is not designed for round balls. Try a sabot or a conical with this rifle for best accuracy.
    Thank you.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Allen has it pegged, a twist rate of about 1 in 44 to 1 in 47 would be more like it for round balls. I have had good luck with Powerbelt bullets in the Black Diamond. You can google their website and Cabela's carries them if no one closer to home does.