In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

45 cal flintlock,,best powder ??

sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
I have a 45 cal kentucky long rifle I have owned about 20 yrs without me ever fireing it,I shoot alot of powder guns but they are in-lines or revolvers,my son wants to shoot it the next outing and I'm game but all I have is pyrodex,what would be the best powder I could use in both the load and primer,I was thinking 3F,hate to buy a pound just to shoot a day but so be it,but I do not want to have to buy 2 different powders,one for the load and one for the primer,,

Comments

• joelHjoelH Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    039, a can of 3f should be all you need to get the job done. I will warn you....once you start shooting that ole flinter, it can become quite addicting!
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    The 3F should do fine. 4F is usually used for the prime but, 3 will work. It will just not fire off as fast.
  • bozonomtnbozonomtn Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As staed 3F will do fine in botrh the barrel and pan BUT if you want a small bit of finer powder than 3F for teh pan, spread a little bit of 3F onto a wooden cutting block, take a wooden rolling piun, roll it across the 3F powder exserting a bit of downward preasure, and you will get a finer powder than 3F. It will not be as good a 4F but will ignite faster than straight 3F. Do not roll the pin fast or slide it over the [powder but roll it slowly to get a good, fine powder. I have been grinding down powder for well over 25 years in one way or another (have used the rolling pin method a few times) and get priming powder when I run out and it will be a while before I can pick some 4F up. I generally use a pedestal and mortar myself. Now mind you do not grind a huge amount at a time, 200 grains at a time is enough IMHO. During the grinding process is when the GOEX plant blew up the last time it had an accident 5-10 years ago!
  • rja72rja72 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read on another forum where they suggested putting 3f in a 35mm film canister with a lead ball and shake it until you get the desired size