In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

777 vs. Jim Shockey's Gold

MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
Whats better? I always shot pyrodex out of my rifles. Last year I decided to pick up some pioneer powder and I agree that it is a little cleaner than the pyrodex. The one thing I didn't like was that the pioneer powder left "greenish" colored stains all over the breech and barrel of my stainless Traditions Pursuit. The stains are permanent. I've never seen this before. Does anyone know what they are from? What are your opinions of the Pioneer Powder? Ive never shot 777 before but I might give it a try this year.

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    777 is cleaner than Pyrodex. In many rifles it leaves the "crud ring" just ahead of the bullet.
    I have heard bad things about Shockey's Gold.

The best sub is Blackhorn 209, if you are using shotgun primers.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I've had good results with the 777 loose powder, my gun did not like the pellets though. I run a spit patch between shots and have no problems with a crud ring.
  • Doc HoyDoc Hoy Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I shot pyrodex, I got a red discoloration on the brass components.

Tnx,

Barry

quote:Originally posted by MrGunz22
    Whats better? I always shot pyrodex out of my rifles. Last year I decided to pick up some pioneer powder and I agree that it is a little cleaner than the pyrodex. The one thing I didn't like was that the pioneer powder left "greenish" colored stains all over the breech and barrel of my stainless Traditions Pursuit. The stains are permanent. I've never seen this before. Does anyone know what they are from? What are your opinions of the Pioneer Powder? Ive never shot 777 before but I might give it a try this year.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldeneagle76
    I've had good results with the 777 loose powder, my gun did not like the pellets though. I run a spit patch between shots and have no problems with a crud ring.

I do the same when plinking but hunting I just jam another round down the pipe and hope the first one did the job
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to use Pyrodex, but the clean up is a bit of a hassle. So I switched to Hodgdon Triple 7, and I'm not looking back. It cleans up really well. I use loose powder in my PC Hawken and both loose or pellets in my T/C Omega 50.

I do have the crud ring thing when I use the Hodgdon Triple 7 pellets, but I can live with that since it shoots so very well when I am hunting, and I don't shoot that often when hunting. Just a little practice and sighting in ... and I'm good for the season!

I may even try my Hawken hunting when the weather is good. Don't want to take any chances when the big buck shows up for our rendez vous in the woods!
  • 7mmbr7mmbr Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot the American Pioneer Sticks, American Pioneer and Shockey Gold and would not give you a nickel for a whole truck load of all of them!!!!!!!!!!! They either meter like driveway rock, or the sticks shave off at the bottom resulting in less than desired weights. They don't clean up any better than anything else either.

Give me my 777 Select and drop 120grns under a 240 Hornady SST and I will print 1" to 1-1/2" groups till boredom with it out of my Knight in-line.