In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1x muzzleloader scope, recommendations?

holybuckholybuck Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
Is a 1X scope worth putting on? Do they really help? I just missed (cleanly) the buck of a lifetime yesterday with my NEF 50cal using firesights. Never missed a deer before in my life. I have to find something better. Any ideas for an affordable 1X? Wisconsin does not allow any more magnification than 1x. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I take it you were using fiber optic sights.
    At what range was the shot? What light conditions?

I do believe that a 1 power scope would help a lot. The scope gathers light and enables shots in dim light. In fact, I was trying hard to get a 2-7 power scope. I hunt in thick brush and normally 2 power would be all I would need.
    I used to have a 2-7 Redfield on my 30-06 and I used it quite a bit hunting in Georgia, 15 and 20 years ago, and usually shot it on 2 power.
    Anyway I couldn't find a 2 power scope that met my specs so I bought a 3-9.

Sorry I don't have any recommendations on the 1 power, but if there is a Sightron S2 in 1 power get it you won't be sorry.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    T/C makes a hawken scope 1x power, it is $177 dollars though, one other thought , can you use a reddot as they are nonmagnifying? I just googled 1x power scope didn't check any farther than the T/C.
  • holybuckholybuck Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your input guys. Yes a red dot is legal here. However I hear you have to spend a lot to get a decent one. Maybe I'm wrong. As for the aformentioned miss, I was using williams fire sights (came on the rifle), range was 50yds, had about 10 minutes of daylight left (pretty low on a snowy dark afternoon). Broadside shot, still can't believe I missed but I spent hours tracking (in 4 inches of snow)and also the next day to confirm and found no hair/blood or beds to indicate any type of hit. Had a decent rest but the sights just looked like a dark blob to me. I may have shot over his back not knowing where the sights were lined up. Yes, I hear the sightron scope is good. Might be my choice.
  • tazz1958tazz1958 Member Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 1x power scopes I looked thru looked further away then if you were looking thru iron sights. I think they are a joke, but just my opinion
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    I'm also in WI so i know where you are coming from ,

that said last year i used a Nikon Monark 1 x on my Omega , i took a nice 8 pt late on the 3 rd day of ml season , it is true that they seem to make things appear smaller than what they are but the good part is the you have the cross hairs to go by

just put the ver. wire up the front leg , the hor. wire mid body and your good to go

if you're any where close to the Sparta area i still have the Nikon , you're welcome to come by and take a look see thru it
  • holybuckholybuck Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    gskyhawk, thanks for the info. I'm up in Bayfield County so I won't be around Sparta, but thanks for the offer. Don't know why Wisconsin has that rule. Other states like Michigan allow scopes of any power. Makes sense to me to minimize wounding of animals.
    edited November -1
    well any thing that makes sense just doens't fly with the DNR [xx(]
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't see iron sights anymore - I put on a Simmons red dot with selectable dot or cross hair. Problem solved, I like the red cross hair.
  • kenny550kenny550 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Someone makes a 1x red dot sight, maybe tru glow but I'm not sure. Good luck:
  • kenny550kenny550 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I made a mistake, just checked out truglo and the dot sight they make is a 2x
    edited November -1
    Bushnell Holosight is 1x