In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

bolt action style in line

jantzelwjantzelw Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
I have posted this on the general discusion forum but figured i might get a quicker answer herejust wondering if any one has heard a bolt action style going frequently off by accident. I am wondering because my brother was shot through both legs the other day by one of his friends trying to load the gun.

Comments

• Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not personally heard of any sort of problems like that. It would be interesting to know what type of rifle the "friend" was shooting. There are several out there, (ie. Remington, Savage, Ruger, etc.).

Bode
  • Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some cock on open, and some on closing. Cock on closing is much more difficult to work with, and if the rifle is held with hand around trigger area when pushing-turning in bolt one's finger could be in the trigger guard and...it go bang if loaded.
    Cnverted my Traditions Premier to cock on close fot those reasons.

Also can happen if...t
    1. Trigger parts were 'worked' lowering the sear release pressure.
    2. Defective trigger parts.
    3. Bolt defective.
    All above similar to a 'slam fire'
  • Nite RyderNite Ryder Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    His buddy was loading the rifle when it fired? Putting a cap or primer in place is the very last thing you do when loading, and you don't put a cap on the nipple with the rifle pointed at someone. It can't fire by accident if there is no primer on the nipple or 209 primer in place. He shouldn't be loading a gun with a cap on the nipple, you are asking for trouble.

NR