In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

T/C vs everyone else

Stylishxone767Stylishxone767 Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
I am interested in buying my first black powder rifle. I recently had a friend tell me that I should only buy t/c, opposed to the cheaper rifles made by companies like CVA, Traditions...ect. I am curious if those cheaper rifles made by CVA & Traditions are worth it. Are those rifles in the 200-300 range junk? How about the Remington Genesis? How do those rifles stack up against the Omega?

Comments

• k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    Are you buying an inline, or a real blackpowder rifle?
  • Stylishxone767Stylishxone767 Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    If you want the true experience of muzzleloading, get yourself a T/C or Lyman in a caplock or flintlock. Load it with Goex Blackpowder.
    I'm not a fan of "city slicker" muzzleloaders.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    T/C is a top quality line of muzzleloaders ... I'd go with an in-line for hunting and a cap lock for shooting at the range. And you can't beat the T/C lifetime guarantee. Their sights are nice to work with as well.
    edited November -1
    T/C is the best. I love my T/C Omega 50 for hunting. I've been using it for hunting and some messing around at the club for the last six year and no problems with this muzzle loader at all.
    edited November -1
    I just noticed that I already replied to this thread. Same message!
  • we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my .45 cal. encore.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are some questions as to wether the imported guns are safe with max loads (3 pyrodex or 777 pellets). According to some they are not proof tested to these pressure levels. The biggest naysayer is a man named Randy Wakeman. His information may be biased because he represents Savage Arms and other companies. You can search Randy Wakeman for his many muzzleloading articles. It was hard to find his old articles on CVA and Traditions. Maybe they threatened to sue. Here is his advice on safety. www.deerhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=4976
  • MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just happen to own in-lines by all three companies you mentioned. I have a T/C Encore, Traditions Pursuit LT and a CVA optima. I would rank them in that order. If I had to pick one over the others it would have to be my T/C Encore. The real reason being the versatility of the rifle barrels and the finish is a little nicer. Aside from that they are identical in function (break action) and most importantly, accuracy. My encore wont outshoot my cva optima and the encore cost twice as much. In my opinion you cant go wrong with any of the brands you mentioned. I would only buy a "break action" model. They are a dream to clean compared to the other in-lines. Good Luck and Have fun [:)]
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I have the City Slicker/Dummy CVA ELECTRA - shoots good. Shoots Magnum loads. Shoots with NO PRIMER. Has a Spark Plug for ignition.

I got it because of concern for Gummint restricting access to Primers. I can cast bullets, and make gunpowder.

Easy to clean Stainless. All-weather Plastic stock. No Muss, No Fuss.

Delivers a lick with 350 Grain Saboted Bullets, and Three 50 Grain Pellets.

I am not one of those folks you see at the gunshows that is wearing greasy fringed leather outfits.