In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Traditions Hawken 50 cal.

bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
This is my first post on this forum and I thought I would pick your brains. I have a Traditions Hawken 50 caliber percussion and was wondering what kind if any sights would work on these. The old eyes are not that good anymore and I was thinking about a globe front and rear tang sight. Is this possible on this gun and would it be beneficial to me? Thanks for any info....Bull[8D]

Comments

• sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Well Bull I guess you and I are the only loney guys out there with the Tradition 50 cal Hawkin. Mine looks great up on the wall.
    Have you shot yours yet? Would it make any sense to consider putting a red dot on the rifle?

Sig232
  • bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Hey sig..yes I have shot mine and it seems to shoot very well. I have been using 90 grains of Triple Seven behind a 350 grain T/C maxi hunter. Seems to shoot them pretty well at 50 yards, that's about as far as I can see real well with the open sights. I have been thinking of trying to mount a tang sight and a globe on the front. We cannot use scopes here but I wouldn't want to...kinda takes away from the hunt I think. Have you shot yours yet? About the red dot I have never used one on a muzzleloader but have used them on my Contenders and some .22's. They work great....Bull
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    I have not shot mine yet. I have been a handgun shooter for over 30 years, reload my own and like to target shoot. The Hawkin is such a classic I have wanted one for many years. Finally bought it and now I need to learn how to shoot it. I am a bit timid, since I have heard all the stories about how dangerous black powder is compared to regular ball type powder. Also, stories about primers not firing and having to remove a loaded barrel. Firing delays, etc, etc.

I did buy the manual and am trying to brush up on the drill. I am open to any advice from folks who have fired these guns and feel comfortable with their operation.

I have a similar problem with my eyes. I can see the sight if I put on my glasses but then the target is blurred. Now if I take my glasses off I can see the target fine but the sights are blurred. Can't win!

I did buy a Meritt optical device and stuck in on my glasses for target work. It forces the eye to look through a peephole and then you can see both the target and sights much better. I would assume that your tang sight with the peephole might work the same way.

Sig232
  • bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Sig, if you have the manual it will explain to you step by step how to load it. You might try to find someone, a friend or neighbor, who will show you. Try your local gun range I am sure there are people there that would help. It is a lot of fun to shoot. When my friends and I go to the range to shoot we end up shooting the muzzleloader's more than anything...try it you will like it[:)]...Bull[8D]