In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.451 for .44 1860 Signature Colt

reindeerreindeer Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
Well I went and done it. I purchased a b/p Colt Signature Model 1860 .44 cal revolver. It sure looks sweet and I will shoot it. I have stashed away in my gear boxes a couple of bags of .451 soft lead balls. Are they appropriate in a .44? Thanks, reindeer

Comments

• slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The manual that came with mine calls for .457 balls. You should shave off a little ring of lead when you seat the ball on the powder. If the ball is too loose accuracy will suffer and you risk the possibility of a chain fire. If you seal the chambers with BP grease or crisco this should prevent the chain fire problem. You might try it but if the ball is loose in the cylinder they will not stay put when you start shooting. This will not be good.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have a Colt but I have a Pietta and a Uberti. I use .457 in both of mine.
    Like slumlord said, if you don't shave a little lead donut when loading the bullet is too small.
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I havent had good luck with .451s in any of my .44 cal C&Bs (Colt, Uberti, or Pietta). Use .454s in all of em. Get a good fit and nice ring shaved when seating. .457s are generally used in Ruger Old Armies and may work fine in Colt style; or may require too much force to seat depending on the chamber mouths. Your best bet would be to try both and use the ones that work best.

Ken (Fingers McGee SASS 28654)44-40
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I use .454 in mine. What I would do is mic the ID of the chamber. As long as it is a few thousandths less than .451 you should be OK. If you can use the .451s, get some overpowder wads. It will help to prevent chain fires and provide more sealing in the barrel during firing.
  • reindeerreindeer Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I should have thought about the obvious. Measure and read. When I was 18 I had a Colt Navy repro and I put a lot of rounds and crisco thru it. I cannot remember if I patched the balls but I guess not. Thanks Guys, you're the greatest.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No a patched ball will not work in a cap and ball revolver.
    Only a rifle or single shot pistol for the patched round ball.
  • reindeerreindeer Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That sounds like an important safety warning and I apprediate it. Thanks, reindeer