In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

unshootable?

newmannewman Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
i think i NEED a muzzleloader.

i found a nice t/c grey hawk .50(synthetic and stainless percussion) at a local pawn shop. i went to make an offer when i found out it had already been sold and then returned.

it turns out, the barrel has a wide spot(the rod with a cloth on it gets loose) about 1/3 the way up the barrel, and 1/2" long. not normal, i assume.

ruined riflings? a wedged bullet at some time?

IS IT STILL SHOOTABLE????

thanks for your input, newman

Comments

• joelHjoelH Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like the rifle in question has a bulge in the barrel. This is caused by improper loading practices. The bullet was not seated down tight to the powder charge and fired causing the barrel to bulge. This will have very adverse effects to the rifles accuracy. As far as safety is concerned, it all depends upon the barrels wall thickness. I would not buy this gun. If it was my rifle, I would cut the barrel just below the bulge if enough length was still attainable.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    newman, you are pretty sharp to have found this bulged spot. You don't want this rifle.
    I don't know much about the Grey Hawk, except that it is an old inline design that is no longer made.
    Save yourself some grief, save some more quarters in your piggy bank, and buy an Omega.
    At this time of year WalMart has close outs on the Omega. You might be able to get one for $150.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    newman, you are pretty sharp to have found this bulged spot. You don't want this rifle.
    I don't know much about the Grey Hawk, except that it is an old inline design that is no longer made.
    Save yourself some grief, save some more quarters in your piggy bank, and buy an Omega.
    At this time of year WalMart has close outs on the Omega. You might be able to get one for $150.

They also have good prices on Optima's.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    What probably happened was that the rifle was fired with a partial obstruction halfway down the barrel, almost a microcosmic example of the question of physics asking what happens when an irresistable force meets an immovable object. Black powder cartridge shooters, when using paper patched projectiles are careful that no paper is left from the previous shot before loading the next one as a small piece of paper can "ring" a barrel or leave a ring shaped bulge it it where bullet meets the obstruction.

While there have been recalls on some inlines and, not being an afficianado of inlines, I cannot recite which ones a ring need not mean that a rifle left the factory defective. Chances are, barring some flaw in the manufacture of this particular rifle and recall of this model, that this gun experienced just what I have described above.

Some BPCR shooters continue to use a ringed barrel, and BPCR is essentially the same as inline shooting as compared to the traditional sidelock. Sidelocks have the safety valve of touch hole by which they can release pressure, inlines and BPCRs do not. You can add to that increased pressures of heavier projectiles and a weakened spot in the barrel can become outrightly dangerous.

I personally would be hesitant to fire the sturdiest of actions knowing that its barrel was bulged, that emotion enhanced by the knowledge that the increased bore diameter in that area offers room for yet another obstruction to lodge between the projectile and barrel wall and further weaken the barrel. OTOH, it makes for a good bargaining point =s
  • newmannewman Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thank you all for your responses.

it really is a pretty gun, but it ain't just for show. sure i could get it for $50, but it'd probaly just mount over the door.

at least i'm aware, now, to ram a patch down the muzzle before i buy.

dang it, newman
  • Pfin3Pfin3 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doesn't TC have a lifetime guarantee?