In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hawk Carse

BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
I am working on a rolling block No. 1 action which I had planned chambering in 45 120 and for long range BPCR shooting. I confess that a big factor in this choice is the look of those 3 1/4" Basic shells on a cartridge belt. I also am familiar with the fact that it is not known to be the best choice for accuracy but had thought to load down to achieve best accuracy. Do you think I should just scrap the whole 3 1/4" idea in favor of the 45 100 or can I make this work?

Comments

• oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little out of my experience, but it sounds like a fun project, and that's what we're here for.[:)]
  • surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the rolling block actions won't accept a cartridge longer than the .45-100 straight. If your action gives you clearance to load and extract the longer 3 1/4 inch shells (and you're willing to accept the extra recoil), I'd say go for it.
    The .45-70 is very popular in BPCR silhouette shooting, probably because:
    1. Factory loads (for the times you don't want to clean BP) and other components (primarily cases) are readily available. And
    2. The .45-70 doesn't beat you up over the course of a long string of targets.
    That said, I had a .45-70 Sharps repro rechambered to .45-110 and LOVED shooting it! I hasten to add, that Sharps had a shotgun-type, NOT a crescent-shaped buttplate.
  • BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    The round will clear the hammer nose, with some grinding. I have a rb carbine that is chambered in 45/70 and is NO fun to shoot smokeless in. The No 1 will weigh considerably more.

I'd love a Sharps, someday.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just got home; don't know that I can add much to what the other guys say. I mostly shoot a .38-55 and anything bigger than .40-65 is more fun than I want to get into.

I trust you mean to shoot black powder; anything longer than .45-70 or maybe .45-90 is pretty much a bust with nitro. Even then the bigger the cartridge, the harder the kick. One bandaid is to load with Fg powder which slows things down a bit.
  • mazo kidmazo kid Member Posts: 648 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blckhrn, I recently traded for a Pedersoli RB in 45-70 and had thought about rechambering to 45-90. I have kinda changed my mind, at least temporarily until I can shoot it some more. A 45-90 round will just clear the hammer nose (after holding it back). The Pedersoli has a fairly heavy tapered octagonal 30" barrel and weighs 10 pounds; I just weighed a military configuration Roller and it tipped the scale at 9-1/4 pounds. I don't think either would be a lot of fun in 45-90. One could add weight to the buttstock, tho. My only 45-90 is a Pedersoli '74 Sharps Schuetzen model weighing just over 13 pounds and that one is a pleasure to shoot with 405 grain bullets. I haven't loaded any 500-550 grain ones yet. Emery