In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pulling Wedge on Colt BP Revolvers....

Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
What's the best way to pull the wedge? Is there a special tool? I have a heck of a time with my two 1851 Colt's .

Comments

• surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot depends on how well the wedge was fitted. A properly-fit wedge is easily removed with the fingers after a light tap with a small mallet, or even a screwdriver's wood (or "ugh" plastic) handle. I've removed too-tight wedges with the screwdriver blade used as a pusher after the handle was used as a mallet ("every tool in the toolbox is a hammer...except the screwdriver - that's a chisel"). A smack on the handle with the palm of my hand will generally get the wedge out to where I can remove the barrel. On some examples, the wedge screw must be removed before you can totally remove the wedge. BTW, it's unneccessary to completely remove the wedge for disassembly. Just back it out until it's clear of the cylinder pin.
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Surbat: thanks for the suggestions, especially not having to remove it all the way.