In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone deer hunt with BP handgun?

I'm just curious if anyone has hunted deer with a BP or modern muzzleloading handgun? 25-35 yard accuracy would be my main concern.

I'd like to take advantage of our ML season but am too traditionalist to want to use a modern ML unless I could use it in a handgun. I already do most of my deer hunting with handguns so this really wouldn't be that new.

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dakota I have last few years, I have a peitta 58 remmington,with target sights, I don't have a problem with accuracy, I can hit golf ball 20-25 yards paper plate easily at 50yds. I still limit my shots to 25-30 yds as the most powder I can load with ball is 30 grains, this makes me leary of knockdown power over that distance. If you haven't gotten your pistol yet you may look into one of the walker dragoon copies you can load them a lot hotter, 50 grain range, which would provide a little more killing power out to maybe the 50yd range.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Thanks hillbillie. I have a .50 cal minimum in my state so that will limit me to one of the single shots which really is fine with me. I had thought TC made a pistol length 50 cal barrel but can't find any info so I may have to look at another option.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have no qualms about killing deer at 30 yards with a single shot .50 pistol.
    You ought to be able to burn at least 40 grains of fffg in that.

I have killed lots of deer and hogs, up to 80 yards, with the .50 rifle, using 80 grains of powder. I am sure that the pistol at close range would be very effective.
  • chigerchiger Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dakota,

I've harvest white tail from 35 yards with a New model Remington 44 load with 28 gains of BP and 180 grain cast conical. Clean through and through. Center punched a rib in and out too.

I like the Remington style revolvers best just because of the way they look and they have a back strap. Stronger frames. Especially good if you get one of Ruger's versions. Like the old ones on a Black Hawk frame or the New Old Army or whatever they call it now. They'll accept 35-40 grains of powder and a 220 grain conical. You can basically take anything with those you would with a 45 colt or 44 special center fire.

They are more accurate at 75 yards than I am shooting off hand! Bench one in a vise at 50 yards and you may be dang surprised. And a 220 grain round doing 950 fps makes a most satisfying thump when it gets down range. ;~)
  • festusfestus Member Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger Old Army!!!
  • chigerchiger Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I take it you're a fan mag. Do you have one?
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep in mind that some states do not recognize cap and ball revolers as "muzzleloaders" and they are not legal during muzzle loader or primative weapon seasons.

Here in Texas cap and ball revolers are not legal during a muzzleloader season.

Bode
  • festusfestus Member Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I do.quote:Originally posted by chiger
    I take it you're a fan mag. Do you have one?
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    T/C does or at least did make a 15" 50cal. bp barrel for the encore
  • inkn221inkn221 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I called Ohio Dept of Natural Resources several years ago and was told in no uncertain terms that bp revolvers were illegal to take deer in the state of Ohio
  • ColtDoctorColtDoctor Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    These Fish and Wildlife folks take all the fun out of hunting don't they. I was astounded (did I say astounded) to read the new Washington regs that will allow black powder pistol hunting this season!*%!@ I can't believe it! The Muzzleloading handgun must have an 8" barrel, be .45 cal or larger, and be strong enough to use 45 grains of black powder. I gotta get me a Walker!!! Any type of projectile is now allowed as well (sabots etc).
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Original Walkers ,I believe, would take a 60 grain powder charge behind a round ball. They were the hottest pistol before the 357 Mag.
    General Walker said; "They would unhorse a Mexican by hitting either the horse or the Mexican."
    Repro's may or may not have chambers reduced in capacity.