In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Triple Seven primers made for muzzleloaders. suck?

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
Winchester is making these new Triple-Seven primers that are supposed to be better than the 209 shotgun primers for use with in-line muzzleloaders. I can't remember why they said regular 209 primers aren't as good but there was some rationale I saw in a video playing at Cabelas last year.

After reading customer reviews on another website, all i can say is that it sounds like these primers SUCK.

I used CCI 209 shotgun primers the last time I hunted with my Omega. What do y'all use and has anyone heard anything about these Triple-Seven primers?

On a side-note..... Is it just me or has the cost of primers and powder shot straight through the roof in the last few years? Talk about a dent in the wallet! I just ordered $80 worth of muzzleloading stuff and I haven't bought primers or powder yet.

Comments

• CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Primers and powder around here are the same price they have been.

I shoot standard CCI 209 lighting Pyrodex RS powder, I get great result out of my CVA Optima.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The new Winchester primers are made for using Triple-Seven or any BP substitute. They are not supposed to be so hot ... so as not to bump the load prior to ignition. Is that possible?

I heard that it was a good idea ... no so?[?]

Maybe I won't try them after all.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Start reading customer reviews on them at places like Cabelas website. Ugh. lots of misfires/failures to fire. Sounds like they're too weak.

I just can't remember if I used regular CCI 209 primers or the Magnum primers.
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    They are working fine in my Encore.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i bought a package just to see if the dreaded "crud ring" would go away or be less pronounced. haven't tried them yet. if they suck i'll just go back to the Rem STS primers they have always worked good for me and i have 1000's upon 1000's of them.

where do you buy powder and primers @ ??

Do you buy in bulk ???

I buy 4-8lbs juggs of what ever powder I need and will ussually save $2 per lb vs buying 1lb containers

I buy my primers mostly 209's buy the 5-10k at a time.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll buy two boxes of the Triple-7 pellets next weekend when I make my trip to Bass Pro. I don't shoot enough black powder (substitute) to justify bulk quantities. My Omega was deadly accurate the last deer season I used it. So much so that one of my buddies borrowed it for his deer hunt in the wide open spaces of South Dakota. It was so dang accurate using Triple-7 pellets that he insisted on buying it from me so I sold it. I'm on my second Omega now. I missed the darn thing.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot one ragged hole groups at 50 yds with 209's. Im never going to change.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Triple seven primers are specifically designed to eliminate the "crud ring" that is infamously known to be created when using 777 powder.
    They work well in this respect. All in all, my guys on other forums who use these primers like them very much.
    If you aren't using 777 you don't need these primers.