In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

BULLETS AND PELLETS FOR T/C OMEGA

GONAVY17GONAVY17 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Hello. I am new to muzzleloaders and don't have a clue the type of round (sabot, ball, grain of bullet, etc) and pellets/powder to use. Can anyone tell me what they believe are the best type of bullets and pellets/powder to shoot out of a T/C Omega .50Cal for deer hunting? Thanks

Comments

• anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the last three yease I have been shooting a T/C Omega 50, and she is one sweet gun. The twist if too fast for round ball. I shoot them to be sporting at BP Shoots, but they are a bit un predictable. It was made for conicals and especially for sabots. I'm trying both and having some fun experimenting.
  • GONAVY17GONAVY17 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the information. I'm looking for any recommendations as far as type, brand and weight, pellets and/or powder and how many grains 100 or 150? Thanks for any and all info.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know a guy who uses 85 grains of 777 powder and the 245 grain Barnes Spitfire in the Omega. He killed an 8 pointer at 205 yards with this load.
    If you decide to shoot 777, be sure to get the new Winchester 777 primers. You will get fouling in the barrel just ahead of where the sabot sets unless you use these primers.
    If you use black powder, or Pyrodex, you can use any primer.
    If you use bp or Pyrodex, go up to 90 or 95 grains.
    Good luck! You have one of the best inlines ever made.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a thought- why not check with Thompson?
  • GONAVY17GONAVY17 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Allen.

I will check with Thompson but I like to get advice from folks out there using various products. Companies tend to push you to their products which aren't always necessarily the overall best.
  • KatsteeKatstee Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    100grs (2 pellets) of Triple 7, under Hornady XTP .45cal/240grain bullet using a black sabot from TC or use the TC Cheap Shots for 50cal guns pack. This is an easy starting load.
    If you want to experiment use Triple 7 powder or BH209 start at 85grs(by volume) & work up, use the same bullets & sabots.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt elk with my Omega so I like heavier bullets. My load is 100 grains of 777 powder with a MMP sabot and Hornady 300 grain XTP Mag bullet, Pt number 45235. I practice a lot so I buy the sabots in bulk from MMP sabots 870-741-5019. Most Omegas have very tight bores (mine does) so I use MMP's HPH-3P-EZ sabot which is designed for tight bores. Buying loose powder and bullets in 50 rd boxes locally, and sabots in 100 packs make your cost per shot much lower. This load groups at 1.5 MOA in my rifle and only drops a foot at 200 yards. If your hunting deer the 250 gr hornady XTP would be my choice.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady SST w/ 777. 100 or 150 grains depends on how far you want to shoot and how much kick you want. Either will work, I prefer the 100gr

I noticed that Hornady has a new FPB muzzle loading bullet. It has no plastic sabot and the base expandes like a maxi/mini ball. They have a prduct video on it to watch where they test it with a Omega.

I noticed that they were comparing it to the Powerbelt bullets. They didn't give a good recomidation for the Powerbelt bullets for the Omega and for good reason. Powerbelt bullets are not made for T/C guns in my opinion. I have 4 smokepoles and other family members/friends do also. We all have come to the conclusion that the CVA inlines like the Powerbelt bullets and the T/C's like Hornady saboted bullets & the T/C Shockwave(I think they are Hornady bullets too)

I use 250gr in T/C & 300gr in CVA with 100gr 777 or Pyrodex, whichever I have available

Good luck[;)]