In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remington 700ml

AdironduckAdironduck Member Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
In need of a 209 convertion kit. I am told this will help w/ this poor designed gun to fire when it gets cold.

Comments

• AdironduckAdironduck Member Posts: 314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking about getting a Reminton 700 muzzleloader.Anyone have any experience with this rifle and if so what do you think of it?I've heard there were some problems with them?
  • DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    (I'm thinking about getting a Reminton 700 muzzleloader.Anyone have any experience with this rifle and if so what do you think of it?I've heard there were some problems with them?)

I have a Remington 700ML stainless steel in 54 caliber. It is a great rifle, and I have killed deer out to 135 yards with it. Mine shoots best with sabots - mine likes 90 gr. of 777 powder and 250 gr. or 300 gr. TC or Nosler Partition 45 caliber bullets. It doesn't like Power Belt bullets.

I had a few misfires until I installed the 209 nipple. Since then, it fires every time.

Cleaning the 700ML is straight forward after removing the breech plug. The bolt requires a vise and a dime to disassemble in order to clean.

I adjusted the trigger to about a 2.5 lbs. pull. In spite of what the manual says, the Remington 700 trigger is one of the easiest to adjust.

You can do much worse than a Remington 700ML.
  • trouttruetrouttrue Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two remington 700 ml's 1 is a 54 caliber stainless and the other is a 50 caliber blued model. I love them both, the 50 seems to be a better shooter for me but the 54 is by no means BAD.
    I will try the load recomendations in the last post to see if the groups get alittle better.
    I feel these guns are very easy to clean and take care of..
    I do have a 209 primer set up on the 50 but still a purcusion cap on the 54.
  • hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting 700ML's scince they came out on the market. Like em alot. Before they were 209 primer capable, they, or at least mine had alot of misfires. Scince changing to 209's, they fire every time, all the time. My best loads are with 100 grains of loose 777 behind a Barnes 250 grainer, whether it be the old style Barnes or the new Spitfires. That'll group way inside 2" at 100 yards all day long. I feel that anything over 100 grains of powder is a waste of time. Barrel fouling is substantially increased, telling me that incomplete burning is taking place. I've never lost a deer with these bullets. Awesome terminal performance. As far as cleaning goes, it is no big deal. I use hot water and a little soap, and it is spotless after about 5 minutes. I always coat my bore with bore butter afterwards, as well as the nipple threads and the breech plug threads. I don't know how far they will shoot cause I like to hunt deer up close and personal. I think my longest shot was about 50 yards. My wife has dropped some pretty big Iowa deer with her 700ML at alot farther than I have, probably at 100 yards or so, which isn't very far at all these days. I think you'll be happy with a 700Ml if you buy one. Shute, you better buy 2 if you can. They aren't made anymore, and they will get cheaper as new inventions come up, but by and large, they are a pretty tough muzzleloader, and tough to beat IMOP. Good Luck.
  • fldavefldave Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm new to muzzleloading as well and have heard several people talk about cleaning with hot water and soap.

Not to sound ignorant; but how do you clean the gun with hot water and soap?

David
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend has one. Hunts with it every year. Gets many a deer with it every year. Then he loans it to a friend, they get many a deer. Every year.

He has installed the 209 kit, which I honestly wouldn't have a ML without one now. So much more effecient and easier than the Percussion caps.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • rivertrashrivertrash Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned a 700ml for the past four years and I love it. I have shot Elk, Deer and Antelope with it and have never had a misfire. I use 209 primers, 100 grains of 777 and a 250 grain Hornady SST. I get 2 inch groups and 100 yards easy. My longest shot at a deer was 187 yards with the Hornady SST. It hit about four inches low and killed him on the spot. If you want to use conicals, I use the TC 350 grain Maxi Hunter. It almost shoots better then the sabot rounds. Stay away from the Powerbelts though. I cant get a good group with those in this rifle. I would recommend this rifle to anybody wanting a reliable and easy shooting muzzle loader.
  • festusfestus Member Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a stainless, 54 cal. that I ordered when they first came out. Have taken several deer and bear with this gun. It has been a good gun, but would not recommend buying one. It is very picky as to what it will shoot and I think it is a pain in the "A##" to clean compared to many others!! I still use the # 11 caps and FF black powder, have no problems as long as the bolt is taken apart and kept clean. Three freinds of mine have sold theirs and bought something else, said they would not own another Model 700. I also own T/C, & Knight muzzle loaders, been shooting muzzle loaders for 30 years, and my next one will be a T/C Encore
  • skipjack_1stskipjack_1st Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've read of primer debris blowing back from the primer nozzle due to its design. Anyone have any commments on this?
  • DPHMINDPHMIN Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skipjack_1st
    I've read of primer debris blowing back from the primer nozzle due to its design. Anyone have any commments on this?

If you have the shield installed on the bolt, the primer can't blow out. This is not a problem with my 700ML.
  • skipjack_1stskipjack_1st Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must be I don't. I don't find anything on mine that could even remotely be considered a shield. I wonder if a previous owner removed it and why. It is set up for 209 primers, (v.s. the #11 that was original). I guess I'll just have to wait until warmer weather so I can go out and try it.

Didn't mention it before but I traded a handgun for it at a swap meet.

thanks
  • derfhunterderfhunter Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Skipjack.
    The shroud or shield is not recommended for use with the 209 primers.
    They look like a 1/2" plastic pipe about 5/8" long and are used to protect the #11 caps from moisture and debris.