In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wilderness Rifle Works

rwehnkerwehnke Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Hello All
I purchased a Wilderness Rifle Works 50 cal rifle. The model is a Elk Hunter. I believe that the company is was out of Indiana. Would appericate any and all infor you folks my provide.

Comments

• Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I really know about WRW is that they were/are affiliated with the Deer Creek Rifles outfit of Waldron, IN. If I'm not mistaken the Elk Hunter is a halfstock model, correct? WRW didn't seem to be around for an overly long period of time. I never had the opportunity to look at one of their actual products, but pictures I saw and their own descriptions indicated to me they sold a decent-quality but not top-of-the-line product at a fair price. Problem was, as a number of other builders/marketers of this sort of product have found, unless you have the distribution and advertising power of, say, Dixie Gun Works, a good product at a fair price is hard to sell when outfits like CVA, Lyman, and Thompson/Center (not to mention Dixie) have the biggest share of recognition and the distributing network to get their guns out there.

I believe (I will gladly be corrected if I'm wrong about this, but I do believe --) that the WRW products were American-made of American-made materials. They were just too expensive to compete with CVA, not well-enough-known to give either T/C or Lyman any serious competition, and not of high enough quality for those who are willing to pay fairly serious bucks for custom or semi-custom work.

Keep us posted on how the rifle works out for you. Like I said, it's a brand I never had the chance to learn much about, and I'd like some firsthand info and impressions about their product.
  • Options
    rwehnkerwehnke Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    mongrel, After posting I did track down Deer Creek Products as they are now called. I lady there filled me in things a little bit. The barrels were made right here at Deer Creek. The word from Deer Creek is that WRW went out of businees in 1998. I have not had a chance to fire this rifle yet, dang thing called work keeps getting in the way, but I will for sure keep you updated.
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rwehnke
    mongrel, After posting I did track down Deer Creek Products as they are now called. I lady there filled me in things a little bit. The barrels were made right here at Deer Creek. The word from Deer Creek is that WRW went out of businees in 1998. I have not had a chance to fire this rifle yet, dang thing called work keeps getting in the way, but I will for sure keep you updated.

Send it to me and I will keep you posted on my progress[;)]...Bull