In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

100 or 150 grain?

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
Posting for a bud. He is looking for a decent pattern at 100-150 yds using Triple Seven black power pellets. Do you guys recommend 2 or 3 (100 or 150 grain)?

Thanks,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on the gun. Mine likes two Pyrodex capsules. Try it both ways, see which is best. No loss, lotsa fun.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try 100 grains. That is plenty of power for deer.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 100 for 100-150yd shots. Groups are pretty consistant at 100yds with 100gr.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rule to bank on:
    Magnum loads are almost never, ever, no way, no how...accuracy loads.

"It's not usually how hard to hit 'em, it's where their hit, and with what.....after you see 'em"
  • surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amen to that post! IMO (for what THAT'S worth), most modern muzzleloaders are charged WAY too hot for optimum performance.
  • longbow589longbow589 Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is 100-150 grain the right question? By limiting you self to these choices only limit's the true performance. Only by using granular powders and trying different loads can you only find the Zen like state you'll enjoy in a truly fine shooter.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just started using 777. I couldn't get on the target at 100yds using 100gr of loose powder. Dropped down to 90gr and got a 3 inch group. I vote for loose powder so that you can adjust your loads.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used 2-50gr pellets (100gr 777) and a 295gr Power Belt bullet. this is a great "target load", i tried it hunting one yr and had a bad experience with the bullets exploding on impact 2/3 deer ran off into the wood's never to be seen again. the third ran 100yds before laying down and dieing from a knife wound. thats when i found that the bullets where exploding on impact. only superficial flesh wound no penetration at all.

They now make a 30gr 777 pellet, now you can get even more combos 50,60,80,90,100,120,130,150gr loads depending on the mixture of 30/50gr pellets. so if you cant find a good 100gr or 150gr load you have some options. without having to use loose 777
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two pellets should be at least enough. It's the load I always use with power belts. For accuracy you might even do better with less in some cases. Also people have been killing deer with 90 gns of BP behind a lead ball for hundreds of years. A hundred grains of Triple Seven is a pretty hefty load.
  • mwd571mwd571 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot weighed 777 FFFg powder, weighed on a Lee safety scale. I shoot 90 grains by weight. This is a great charge out of My Knight revolution with the Barnes TMZ 250 grain. I get a shot pattern at 100 yards of les than 2 inches.

Shooting a sabot from MMP in any good inline will shoot much better than the PB, and take animals up to 200+ yards with ease. Work up you loads.