In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Surprise at the range ...

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
I was over at the range this afternoon. I was trying out some loose triple 7 BP substitute. Seems to work pretty good. I was swabing the barrel between shots, and then decided that I'd go for a few shots before swabing.

I may have gone a couple more, and then pop but no bang! I thought, "Oh rats, I forgot to put in the black stuff again!" (WHAT is that poem? [?][?]) So I thought I'd check and popped off another primer ...I put the barrel down by the dust and gravel just to see if the primer puff comes out and BANG ... .50 cal round ball hole in the dirt! Glad that was all that happened (and that I was alone at the range at the time [:(][:(] !

Comments

• Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Happens a lot with bp rifles.Yes,it could very well happen again,so ALWAYS be aware of muzzle direction..same as with any other firearem,only maybe a little moreso.

Lesson learned,we hope??
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That happens a lot [:(][:(] ... YIPES ... it scared the crap out of me! [xx(] [xx(] I was sure that I forgot to put in the black stuff. But as you say ... ALWAYS keep the muzzle direction safe, because it can always shoot! Even when you ae loading ... or so I am told! Now that is a really a scary thought! [xx(][xx(]
  • Options
    bassranger420bassranger420 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a small mark on my ram rod. The reason I put it there is so I can check to make sure I pack the bullet and powder the same every shot. It would also let you know if you put any powder in at all rather than just touching it off to see.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In swabbing between shots, fire a cap to clear the nipple passage on any perc gun before loading.
    You could have misfired on a Grizzly bear.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This happened to a fiend of mine. Had a hang fire on a black bear. The bear ran away. We don't know if it was the noise or the smell. Pop a cap or two before loading!