In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

OK, Now I'm Addicted! 1851 Navy

jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
In my last post here on the BP forum I had just received an old CVA "Kentucky" single shot C&B pistol and was having a good time with it, learning about BP shooting. Since then I've been on the hunt for a C&B revolver replica. Initially I was looking mainly at the 1858 Rems, but the more I researched and the more I looked, I just couldn't get the "looks" of the open top Colts out of my head. Finally narrowed it down to a 1851 navy replica. I'm not much for buying new so I started searching for a good used one. Ended up getting this one here on GB, made by Euroarms of America (Armi San Paolo) imported by Richland Arms, mfg. 1987, with box and papers for $150 shipped. It's a steel frame with case colored frame, loading rod, trigger & hammer. Brass back strap and trigger guard. 44cal (I know not historically correct). The seller said this thing was in excellent condition and boy was he right. Doesn't look like it was ever shot, I'm sure it has but couldn't have been much. No turn ring on the cylinder and no residue anywhere. None of the frame screws look touched, I'm gonna take it down and give it a good going over. There is no slack in the pistol whatsoever, cylinder is tight, action is very smooth, with a clean 3lb. trigger break.

Sorry for the essay[B)], I'm just excited about my early Christmas present.[:)] Got to wait another day before shooting it, have some balls on order and they aren't in yet. I'm not the best picture taker but here are a couple. tried to get the case color to show up but not much luck. I think I got a good deal, what do y'all think?[:)]

1851navy002.jpg

1851navy005.jpg

Ben

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beautiful!
    I know the Remington is more practical but the Colt handles better.
    Looks like you got a great deal.
  • jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    Thanks Allen.

Yeah the Rem's more practical but since I'm just plinking with it anyway, I just couldn't pass on the Colt looks. It does point nice by the way.[:)]

Ben
  • OregunnerOregunner Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice looking gun. It will be interesting to hear how it shoots.
  • Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same exact gun only in .36. You got a good deal and will have a lot of fun with it.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Maxx424
    I have the same exact gun only in .36. You got a good deal and will have a lot of fun with it.

AS JBW has a Model 1851 Colt Navy, that would also be .36 caliber.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    By the way, I got a deal like yours once.
    I bought a Uberti Cattleman, which is a kind of weird pistol that never really existed. They took the 1873 Colt, which is a cartridge gun, and retrofitted it to be cap and ball.
    Anyway it is a damn good looking pistol, no longer manufactured. I found one on the interned, I think it was on gunbroker, NIB. The guy had had it for ten years, not a scratch on it, and I got a spare cylinder and a loading stand. I got it for $50 less than retail, and he paid the shipping.
    edited November -1
    That sounds like a real good deal you got Allen. I've got some real good deals on rifles here on GB, you just have to be persistent in your search and a bit lucky too.

Well of the hundreds of orders I've placed with Midway over the years this is going to be the very first one that didn't arrive in two day. Looks like my round balls for the pistol got lost in the mail so I still haven't got a chance to shoot it yet. Will probably pick some up locally tomorrow. Can't wait too much longer.[:D]

Ben
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not into BP but got a rogers & spencer euroarms repro once & it was built like a fort....you cant go wrong now with new powder that isn't corrosive
    edited November -1
    Finally took it out to shoot. My brother and I shot it about 60 times, and sad to say, killed 5 pumpkins[:p]. What a hoot! Had no malfunctions at any time. From researching these things I knew it would shoot high, and it did. I know the fixes but hold-over is easy enough for plinking. Would recommend one of these pistols to anyone, very fun![8D]

Ben
  • rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ben, I've had my uberti "51 in .36 for over 20 years, I've fired it so much it looks like the real thing. Get yourself a .375 double cavity mould. I can hit coke cans at 75 yards with 15 gr. and a round ball. I have at least one mould for every caliber BP gun I own, I highly recomend making your own. Have fun and keep it clean!!
  • michael1952michael1952 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want a real treat try an open top cartridge revolver or a conversion.. The cool factor of a percusion gun with the convienience of a cartidge gun. I plan to get a 1951 or 61 Navy to go with my 1872 open top. Then a 1851 Navy conversion.