In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Percussion Shotgun

tdmoparguytdmoparguy Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
Who makes black powder double barrel shotguns? What do you look for in a black powder shotgun. I am familiar with black powder revolvers and would like to try a shotgun now. Any suggestions?

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't answer your question.
    I would love to have a double-barreled perussion shotgun.
    All I know is, they are expensive!
    I don't know why, they are much simpler than a six-gun, seems like they wouldn't cost so much.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ceck Dixie Gunworks. CVA made a decent double a while back and they come up on the auction from time to time. I have a CVA and they are a decent working gun.
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A local pawn shop had two of those for a while. They looked like they were put together well but did not really know much about them. The price was $300.00 and he eventually sold both of them but I don't know if he got that for them or not.

Bode
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cabelas sells pederasolli brand which are good, I have one of the older ones, the new ones cabelas sells have screw in chokes and are a lot heavier than the old ones. they are fun but kick like mules.[;)] winston I have bought and sold a few and around here that would be low if in good shape,$400-450., think the new ones go for $650 or better.
  • jim central mojim central mo Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a 12 ga cva double.nice gun and doesn't kick as bad as the pedrosoli for some reason.i gave $200 for mine but deals like that are rare.as for what to look for,other than the obvious like excessive wear and loose parts you want to find one that fits,as with any gun,if it doesn't fit you well it will kick like hell.fun to shoot but cleanup is pain.
  • sniper762sniper762 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a 12g spanish double i will part with for 200 bucks and a 10g navy arms commemorative "wild turkey federation" 10th year anniversary for 300. both very good condition.

contact dean at driggan3@nc.rr.com
  • 44mag44mag Member Posts: 271 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used a number of front-loading shotguns for years. Don`t mess with a new reproduction. You can buy a origional for about the same money and they will hold their value or go up. The new made ones will drop in value after the trigger is pulled. Just be careful and check out the origional real good before shooting them. Be sure to get a inspection period before buying. I have a number of them and they are all shootable. From my experiance, the guns with front action locks are the best to purchase. The back action locks have less wood in the wrist and are prone to breakage. The locks are very simple to work on in case one doesn`t want to stay on full cock or some minor detail such as that. Of course, never use smokeless powder in them!!!!