In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Can't keep my shots on paper Knight BK-92

jimmarjimmar Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
I have an older Knight BK-92 .54 cal. It shot great for years but recently it won't shoot straight. I used to use about 90gr of 2F black power with either 425 gr. buffalo bullet or a Hornady XTP Sabot. Both shot well, with different zero obviously. The group started to spread quite a bit with some shots being feet off. I switched to Triple 7 and changed the ignition system to use 209 primers. The first shot with a sabot and 90gr of trip7 was in a paper plate at 60 yard. I adjusted the scope and it was about the same spot. The 3rd shot was not even on the 2X3 ft. backer. I clean between each shot. The 4th shot at 20 yards. was a keyhole, the bullet went thru sideways. I tried the old buffalo bullets with 80 gr. of trip7...similar results but no key hole.

Is the rifling shot or fouled too bad with lead or plastic? It doesn't look too bad after I cleaned it, but it seems to be cut pretty darn shallow for a black powder gun. Any similar experiences or advice? The gun is about to go in the trash.

Comments

• OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd check your scope mounts and if those are good I'd loss the scope and shoot it with iron sights to see if it is still acting up.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, scope problem.
  • jimmarjimmar Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would a scope problem make the bullet keyhole? At 20 yrds the hole punched in the paper was the perfect outline of the bullet w/o the plastic sabot jacket.
    edited November -1
    You make a good point.
    I missed the part about the keyhole.

I don't know what to say, except you might have plastic fouling.
    Try cleaning it with acetone, that will get rid of plastic mach schnell.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimmar
    Why would a scope problem make the bullet keyhole? At 20 yrds the hole punched in the paper was the perfect outline of the bullet w/o the plastic sabot jacket.

Does it keyhole consistently?

quote:I tried the old buffalo bullets with 80 gr. of trip7...similar results but no key hole.

clean like Allen said, then shoot it if it is still all over

which I think you will find that it will be, then you can loss the scope
  • jimmarjimmar Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    lost the scope, cleaned with acetone....still spraying. After about 10 shots, still can't hold a group tighter than about 18 in. at 100yrds.

I'll be using my Tennessee flintlock this muzzle loader season. I can keep about a 6in group with that one at 100 using roundballs. More fun to shoot and it's got a few notches from and 8pt and a large doe. With a 42 in barrel though, sometimes it's night at the front sight and still daylight where I'm shootin' from.

Thanks for the advice, though, I really appreciate it.
    edited November -1
    that sucks i was really hoping it was the scope

Even if mz barrels are taken care of they get shot out but it takes literally 100s of shots as the heat and velocity aren't that of a modern rifle.
    edited November -1
    Well, you were right, throw that rifle in the garbage where it belongs.

Since you like the old Knights, buy this classic:

http://www.finfeatherfuroutfitters.com/wolverine-50-cal-p-20254.html

NIB Wolverine for 100 bucks. You can't beat that.