In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

TC White Mt Carbine Twist Rate

dennis53dennis53 Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
Can you tell me the twist rate of my White Mt Carbine? I thought it was 1 in 48", but I have my doubts. I can't seem to measure it with the cleaning rod method.

I've had good luck with round balls, but I'm thinking of trying something a little heavier for whitetail. It's a .50 cal.

Thanks,
Dennis53

Comments

• Options
    mongrel1776mongrel1776 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What little I can dig up on the 'net indicates your rifling twist is 1-48". The fact that roundballs shoot well through it would indicate that as well -- unless you're using light powder charges, roundballs tend to jump the rifling in shallow-groove, fast-twist bores.

If your concern is whether or not you can use heavier (i.e. conical) bullets, a 1-48" twist in .50 caliber will generally stabilize them. Inherent accuracy won't necessarily be as fine as shooting heavy bullets with a faster twist, but then the same wisdom decrees that roundballs won't shoot as accurately out of the 1-48" barrel as one rifled more in the 1-60" to 1-72" range. Fact is, even being somewhat a compromise, a 1-48" twist in a good barrel will deliver accuracy superior to what the shooter of the gun is capable of attaining, with either ball or bullet.

I'd say buy the bullet(s) of your choice, load up, and see how they work. One brand or design may very well prove ideal for your purpose.

FWIW, I hunt whitetails with a .50 roundball rifle. Unless long shots are on the agenda, more "oomph" isn't necessary -- though, having said that, I will admit to being a fan of the philosophy that too much power in a gun is infinitely preferable to the alternative.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dennis: Have you had any problems with the roundball on deer?
    I sure haven't.
  • Options
    dennis53dennis53 Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses. I have not had any problems with the round ball, but I am looking for a way to increase the effective range. BTW, I load 70 grs with the round ball as it seems to be the most accurate load.

Thanks again,
    Dennis53
  • Options
    Underdog2264Underdog2264 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, you are at 1:48 twist on the White mountain. If you are looking for a harder hitting load, try the 350 grain maxi-hunter with 90 grains of 2f.
  • Options
    mississippi ramblin manmississippi ramblin man Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi, I have a document that I got direct from T/C about a month ago that lists twist rates for all their traditional barrels. It shows WMC in .45 1:48, in .50 1:38, in .54 1:48. I would be happy to send a copy to anyone interested. Regards....MRM
  • Options
    rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I not positive, but I'll be dipped if it isn't 1:48
  • Options
    Lucky007Lucky007 Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For several years, I used 370 gr TC Maxi ball conicals over 90 grains of either Pryrodex or 80 grs of 777. I found that there was NO expansion, and that even with small does at 25 yards, the deer would run for over 100 yards (with a through and through lung shot). This year I went to Hornady Great Plains 385 gr lead hollow points,...got great accuracy with 75 grs of 777, but never got a shot after I found that load combo. I feel that the heavier weight bullets shoot more accurately in the Whit Mountain. I have tried several types of smaller weight bullets in the WM and they didn't shoot nearly as well.