In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hopkins & Allen Underhammer - spring question

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
On the Hopkins & Allen Underhammer Muzzle Loader long gun has anyone had problems with the spring? not wanting to hit the cap hard enough? Is it adjustable? Does it happen a lot? (Just wondering before I take the plunge.)

Comments

• Options
    44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother has had one for almost 40 years and it has taken many deer.The spring is not adjustable, but he has never had a problem with it, ignition is very reliable. All I can tell you, from personal experiance is, don't shoot it with short sleeves on. Hot powder and cap fragments will pepper your forearm supporting the rifle. It is a reliable, super simple action, only three moving parts, the hammer, the trigger and the spring.
  • Options
    Cat TracksCat Tracks Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    On the Hopkins & Allen Underhammer Muzzle Loader long gun has anyone had problems with the spring? not wanting to hit the cap hard enough? Is it adjustable? Does it happen a lot? (Just wondering before I take the plunge.)

Should you have trouble with the gun not going off reliably (I have four underhammer rifles, two are Hopkins and Allens, only one of them has exhibited this) the first place to look is the nipple. In the single instance I have ever seen of them doing this, the nipple OD was too great at the point where the cap fits on. A few seconds in the drill press with a small file cured this instantly. Go ahead and take the plunge, if you haven't already. They're great rifles; both a lefty or a righty can shoot them and they're so quick they'll scare you. DON'T use hot caps, though, although the peppering mentioned is an annoyance more than anything.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi. Did you receive the info on the Billinghurst?
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I did receive the info on the Billinghurst ... look's pretty neat and difficult to do on my own! I think I'll tuck it away for some day when I am feel even more courageous! Thanks for sending in Geri.