In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

another scope question

cedarflutemancedarfluteman Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
I have an Omega and was thinking of putting see through scope rings on it. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing to do or not? I know keeping the scope as close to the barrel is the best way to mount a scope but thought I would see what other's think first. Seems like it would be nice to be able to use the iron sights along with the scope?
Thanks,
Cedarfluteman

Comments

• HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    If you don't mind getting whacked in the check by the stock every once in awhile, then go ahead. Honestly though, there really isn't a need. With a 3-9X scope, you should always have it set at 3X or 4X until you need to shoot farther. That way you can mount and get a good sight picture in a hurry if need be. Plus, trying to look through that little opening when it is too dark to see through the scope will kill any advantage that having open fiber-optic sights might give you.

Basically, I am telling you not to do it.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree. It makes for an awkward scope mount.
    So live with the scope, die with the scope. You want to baby that thing, never bang it around and it will be there when you need it.
    Also it is good for very close shots. Go to the store and set a scope on 3x and try looking at something 20 feet away, it is surprising, but you would be able to make the shot.
    I just took the iron sights off of my muzzleloader, they just get in the way.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep your scope as low as possible.

One of the best scopes available for a ML is the Nikon 2-7x32. At 2 power or even 3 or 4x, most shots can be taken.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • cedarflutemancedarfluteman Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply. I do have a 2 x 7 x 32 nikon scope to put on top of the Omega. I will use the lowest mount and rings. The gun has what looks like a weaver base so that's all I have to do is figure out what rings to use. Is the aluminum rings OK to use or should I make sure to use steel rings?

Thanks,
    Cedarfluteman
  • escape 2escape 2 Member Posts: 118 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had see through mount on 2 different BPs. could not keep zero, took off put low mount like it better.