In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

54 cal

ammo308ammo308 Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
I am buying a 54 cal muzzel loader. What do you experts recommend to use for powder (brand) and what type/brand of slugs, grain, to use for white tail?

Comments

• Options
    rgergergerge Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd use a .535 410 grain flat nose minie ball.
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Inline? Flintlock? Caplock? Brand? Model? [?] [?]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it has a 1:48 twist, or slower, I would use a patched round ball and 90 grains of Goex ffg black powder.
    That would be a real deer slayer, out to 100 yards.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a sidelock and use 75 gr of bp with patch and ball, will still kill a deer just as dead as sabots or maxi balls. I do stay under 100 yd shots, more because of my eyes than the gun.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    patched round ball - 90gr of GOEX
  • Options
    scubabobfscubabobf Member Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 54 cal TC Renegade and I like the TC Hunter bullets over 100 grains of Pyrodex. I put a little FFG in the flash tube for more positive ignition. The twist is 1 in 48. I am sure balls would work wel and they would be plenty for North Carolina deer, but I just like the ballistically superior bullets. Good luck to you.
  • Options
    7mmbr7mmbr Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a TC Renegade and use Lee 200grn R.E.A.L (Rifling Engraved At Loading) over 85grns of 777 Select. Shoots clover leaf groups at 50yds.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my Lyman GPR 54 I use 90gr of GOEX, fffg or ffg, patched round ball and an over powder wad. I swab between shots with one patch of alcohol and one dry patch. Amazing accuracy! Full patch slugs with 90grs and overpowder wad go into 4inches at 100yds - good enough for really heavy game. RS works good too, as does "P"
  • Options
    k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    I shoot a CVA Grey Wolf 54 cal. I shoot 90 grains of GOEX FFg, behind a 380 grain R.E.A.L. Cast bullet. I cast them myself. This is a very accurate load out of my rifle.