In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

conversion cylinders

zombiezombie Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
I have a 1858 pietti remmie in 44. with the way the threats are nowdays about new gun laws, I figured it may be a good idea to get a conversion cylinder as most of the anti gunners have left black powder guns alone for the most part, rant over, back to my question are they any good as far as accuracy ease of use, also is it very difficult to reload the brass, I have reloaded some shotgun shells, and am slightly familiar. bottom line are they worth it?

Comments

• zombiezombie Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    what do you guy know about cartridge konverters
    switch black powder guns into modern centerfire
    44. to 45lc.
  • krazyshotkrazyshot Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a conversion cylinder (the guy from Wisconsin,not the guy from Minnesota) made it. It's for a Euroarms Rogers and Spenser .44 cal. revolver. I like it a lot, will shoot .45lc with no problem. I've used it at a few cowboy shoots.It seems it shoots higher than it did with a round ball.
    edited November -1
    i know of two makers kirstkonverter.com
    & taylorsfirearms.com
    and i think brownells has some
    check it out
  • amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    Kirst and R&D are the current manufacturers.
    Taylors gets them from R&D.
    http://www.randdgunshop.com/
    http://www.riverjunction.com/kirst/index.html

You will find that both companies make cylinders that are for Uberti and Pietta and will produce them for others if you ask.

Some are gated, some are ported and some are drop in.

MOST 45lc cylinders are 5 shot. Most dropin 45 lc are 6 shot, but not all.
    You just have to look them over and decide how you'll go.

You can buy these at places like Midway, Cabella's (sometimes) and other places around the net. It helps to price compare.
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried one on a Colt Pocket 1849(open frame). It did fine, but when I went back to the BP cylinder later, the spacing had changed and the hammer couldn't fall far enough to hit the caps. Edgsmth is right. Use only the Remington replicas or use cowboy BP loads. The cowboy loads would probably be fine in the open frames.
    edited November -1
    do you think the pitta or uberty 1851 convertions would fit a colt 51 ?
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couldn't say from experience zombie, but I would think so. R&D is the only one I've seen. Maybe someone else will have the answer.
  • amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    R&D claims that their Uberti conversion kits fit Colt.

one main reason is the measurement from the breech end of the cylinder to the cylinder stop. Ubertis have a shorter distance than the Piettas and they are consistent with Colt specs.

The doesn't mean that the rest of an Uberti is comensurate with the specs, but the cylinder is.