In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

accuracy issues...pellets???

goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
I just took my new TC Triumph to the range this weekend to get her sighted in. 50 yds, dead on. Moved to 100 yds and they were all over the place. I'm using 250gr Shockwave sabots with 2 pellets of 777 (100gr). I cleaned after each shot and was sure to seat each one. What would be causing it to be all over the place at 100yds? At 50yds I was basically hitting the same hole. Could it be the pellets? Should I go to 777 loose powder instead?

Comments

• OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    what type of sight open,scope,RD???

what type of rest, bench, sand bag, full, half, bipod???

did you move back to 50??

I would have to say that it is the sight or you developed a flinch if the groups don't return at 50 yds
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    scoped with a Burris 3-9x40, checked it a bunch, it was tight. Went back to 50 yds and it was on again. It was benchrest with sand bags. At 100yds I had one in the bullseye and then 3 that were low and to the right, then 1 in between those 4.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldeneagle76
    scoped with a Burris 3-9x40, checked it a bunch, it was tight. Went back to 50 yds and it was on again. It was benchrest with sand bags. At 100yds I had one in the bullseye and then 3 that were low and to the right, then 1 in between those 4.

try loose powder

but

I think you will find similar results

I would let someone else shoot it @ 100 and see if they get the same

I flinch like a little girl when I shoot much more than 85grs of 777 out of my encore

those lite guns are hard to hold onto with that much powder
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    are those sabots going down tight? if to tight and you have to " beat or pound" the bullet down you may be buggering up the end of the bullet. same with the sabot if it is to loose, it may not be getting enough spin. easiest way to find out though would be to use some loose powder first that would rule out the pellets.
    edited November -1
    I really don't think I am flinching. I had the range owner watching me at every shot and he said I looked fine. It actually did not feel like it was kicking much. I have an attachment on my ramrod specifically for my sabots so they won't get deformed. I am going back again this Saturday and will see how it goes. Was just wondering if pellets could be that inconsistent.
    edited November -1
    If it didn't feel like it was kicking much, the sabots may be to loose. I would try some loose powder first if that doesn't cure the problem it may be the bullets, you may have to try another brand. while 100 grns is not extreme it may be to much and blowing by the sabot effecting accuracy. if you go with loose try a few shots 75-80 grns and maye a few 110+ to see if it effect it, the 70 grains would be about the bottom I would go with to still get good kills. some guns are just finicky.
    edited November -1
    I really don't think I am flinching. I had the range owner watching me at every shot and he said I looked fine. It actually did not feel like it was kicking much. I have an attachment on my ramrod specifically for my sabots so they won't get deformed. I am going back again this Saturday and will see how it goes. Was just wondering if pellets could be that inconsistent.

100 grains of 777 is like 15% hotter than BP

115grs of bp will give you a good POP

I'm will billie as the sabots might not be sealing properly around the pellets try loose and see what happens
    edited November -1
    I'm thinkign I will try loose powder this weekend along with 2 other kinds of sabots I bought. Hornady XTP's and some Hornady SST's I think they are called. We'll see how it goes.
    edited November -1
    I'm thinkign I will try loose powder this weekend along with 2 other kinds of sabots I bought. Hornady XTP's and some Hornady SST's I think they are called. We'll see how it goes.

well loose 777 and the Hornady SST's tightened the groups up real nice. Think there is a problem with the scope mount though. It is still shooting about 2" to the right of bullseye and the scope will not let me adjust any further to the left. It is maxed out.
  • cweeetcweeet Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    take the scope off go to a gunsmith and have him put a truin rod in the rings, hell be able to "twist" the rings a little to the left and back on center, or get a set of leupold bases with windage adjustment in the front base and work it out from there
    edited November -1
    he may also get by, by just flipping the rings if possible front to back or reverse them where they are. either will require a lot more shooting.
  • naplenaple Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A few years ago I bought a T/C X7, I loaded it with 2 50gr. 777 pellets all types of different sabots after a couple of shots it would start shooting all over even when swabing between shots, I was very disappointed with the performance, this year I tried 85grs of ffg Goex powder shock wave bullets and the same Win. 209 primers, I could'nt believe the difference,no more crude ring and I was shooting 3" groups at 100yds.I was damp then dry swabing between shots like I have always done, I still can't believe that the Goex measured powder made that much difference but it did. Give this a try and I beleive you'll be pleased with the results.
  • mwd571mwd571 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could have a parallax error in the scope, but the big issue is why are you still shooting triple 7, when the best thing out there is Black Horn 209, same push on bullets as AA 5744, cleans up with regular rifle cleaners, no spit patching between shots. also get some MMP sabots or Harvester sabots and a quality barnes or hornady bullet