In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Getting started in Cowboy Action Shooting

reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've become interested in cowboy action shooting but I'm not sure i can afford it.Do I really need 2 six shooters, a rifle of the same calliber and a shotgun?? I guess i can scare up the clothes ,but this much ordanance could run into serious money.

Comments

• divecopdivecop Member Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've just gotten started also but I had most of the arms that you
    need anyway. Yes you need two pistols. You also need a rifle and a
    shotgun. If you don't have them, go join a club and I bet someone
    out there will let you use theirs. These people are so friendly that
    it was hard to believe that when I went for the first time, without
    a second pistol or the leather gear, there were people coming up to
    me trying to give me what I needed to shoot. One man gave me a complete double holster outfit and told me to use his 2 ruger vaqueros. I never met this man in my life and he gives me over 1200
    dollars worth of gear to use. Everyone was so friendly and helpful
    and from what I heard from everyone out there it's that way every
    where. It was nice to meet people like that.
  • ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    compared to some shooting endeavors it's kinda spendy,but the fun factor soon outweighs the outlay.Even if you decide it's not for you the gear will still be worth what ya payed for it in most cases...or pert near it.
    There is always ger for sale on the classifieds sectons of the Sass site,and the Cas City website as well.
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CAS events do sort of revolve around a four gun battery and buying guns can be expensive. But if you shop around the Italian made Colt clones are out there starting at around $225 used. In fact, a few months a go I bout a nice nickel plated Armi San Marcos in .45 Colt here on GB for $180. The Rugers are plentiful and popular if you want to look for these. A basic SxS shotgun isn't too much, and used lever guns that imitate the M92 are all over the place. I think that you can get set up with all four guns for around $1,000. Not exactly chump change but cheaper than skiing.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Winston BodeWinston Bode Member Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey,

If you showed up at our shoot and introduced yourself as a new shooter who wanted to shoot but did not have the required firearms we could probably find someone with an extra revolver or shotgun or someone, probably an experienced shooter, would take you under his/her wing and let you use his/her guns until you get set up. As far a clothing goes, you can shoot in wrangle jeans, boots and a long sleeve shirt from wal-mart. A hat is recommended but not mandatory at the local shoots. Eye and ear protection is highly recommended as you will get hit by chunks of lead coming off of the targets if you shoot long enough. I have had to go to the truck and dig a piece of lead out of my cheek with my pocket knife. Stings but no permanent damage.

Bode