In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Schofield question

ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
I visited the local gun shop today and saw that they had a Schofield in their case. Now mind you, I'm not a cowboy action shooter and in likelihood never will be (not enough time), but I do like those Old West revolvers and the Schofield in particular. So you can imagine my enthusiasm in wanting to get a feel for this gun.

And boy was I disappointed. Maybe I have smaller hands and/or the Schofield is just too large, but I had trouble placing my finger around the trigger while maintaining a firm grip on the gun.

So herein lies my question: the model I was handling was the "Russian" model. Are the other, for want of a better phrase, "American" models going to have a more reasonable grip or am I $#!t out of luck regarding one of my dream guns?

Comments

• Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that on the original guns the only difference was the metal extension from the trigger guard on the Russian Model which means the actual grip was the same. You might try to personally examine the guns from various makers (I think several companies produce these) to see if any particular one feels better than the rest. I have short fingers so I know what you mean.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Saxon,

Thanks for the advice. My main problem now would be that too many of the local stores are "special order" type places, you know?

But I'll poke around. Thanks once again!
  • Options
    BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Imagine my consternation when I found that I could not lower the hammer on my new 1911 with one hand.

This is the nature of those geniuses that design weapons years and years before we are born. As is the 1911, so is the Schofield a masterpiece of of 19th century design. This gun was well favored by many who had the choice of Colt or S+w.

While the Schofield was heavier than the Colt for fast draw purposes, it more than made up for this discrepencacy in its speed of reloading. Yes, the Schofield was a big gun. Heavy as well.

Put yourself simply in the place of the gun owner back then. Just because it doesn't fit you doesn't mean it doesn'y fit.

I'd give my eye tooth for a Schofield