In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Muzzle loader shooting tip help

diver1diver1 Member Posts: 502 ✭✭
I have trouble getting my knight rifle to group at 100 yds. I went to the range today and the first shot ( clean Barrel ) was on target but 6" low. My next 4 shots were around the red dot but left or right and two were high. First should you always shoot a fouling shot after cleanning? My other question is that my pellets are old about ten years, and it's possible that they might have come in contact with oily vapors during their storage. They eem to fire ok but could be giving me different burn rates. Thanks in advance for any ideas. Vince

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    move in to 50 yards to see if you can get a better pattern. If you can split holes at 50 you should do better at 100. It may be a scope issue. You can also try loose powder, I personally have had better luck and accuracy with loose, as you can fine tune up or down 5grains at a time, till you get the best groups.

I also could not get proper groups with powerbelts you may try other ammo to see what your rifle shoots best.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    As hillbille said it could be your scope and you need to try the powder so you can fine tune your loads. And never use old primers or powder that has been sitting for a long time to work up loads with. I always start with fresh primers and powder. I also swab my bores out with alcohol after every 4 shots. And last but not least I use Bore Butter on my patches an as a lube for conicals.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get new poweder!
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All three sounds like good advice to me.[^]
  • lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by diver1
    I have trouble getting my knight rifle to group at 100 yds. I went to the range today and the first shot ( clean Barrel ) was on target but 6" low. My next 4 shots were around the red dot but left or right and two were high. First should you always shoot a fouling shot after cleaning? My other question is that my pellets are old about ten years, and it's possible that they might have come in contact with oily vapors during their storage. They eem to fire ok but could be giving me different burn rates. Thanks in advance for any ideas. Vince

I agree with the others for the most part.
    First, check your scope, this is the most likely culprit either scope smashed or rings loose.
    Second get new powder/pellets. This, in my opinion, is more a reliability issue than anything else. I prefer pellets since the charges are more consistent since you don't spill any powder in my experience.

Thirdly (i know I'll get ragged for this one) i'd say don't clean between every shot, provided you use pellets. if using BP clean it.
    with my inline (TC Thunderhawk) I use pellets and the bullets are no harder to start at shot 10 than at shot 1.
    on another note 777 pellets and pyrodex pellets in my gun group the same but pyrodex is exactly 100fps faster (could be due to year old pellets vs new pellets)

the load I use in mine is 100gr pellets, #11cap and 240XTP bullets in Sabots. 5 shots make a 3/4" hole at 100yds. just food for thought there
  • diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My knight .45 cal shoots better the dirtier it gets, to a point.

First shot on a clean barrel always seems to fly.

After that the more it gets shot, the tighter the groups get.

I don't clean, or swag, or anything, until I just can't get the projectile seated anymore. Around 20 rounds, or a couple days of being dirty.

I also have a tc that needs swagged every other shot, or the groupings open way up.