In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CAS Revolvers

DecoysDecoys Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
I'm looking at getting involved in CAS and have seen a lot of Vaqueros and only a few Blackhawks. I'm curious about any differences between the two and suggested "tuning" that is typically done on them? I'm interested in .357/.38. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Vaquero's are smaller framed than a Blackhawk, at least the New Model Vaqueros are. The new models have the same sized frames as a Colt SAA. The old original Vaqueros have the same frame as the Blackhawk.
    Either model Vaquero look more like a Colt than a Blackhawk does, with adjustable sights and all.
    This is a picture of my first model Vaquero in 45 Colt. This was a factory option, birds head grip and case colored frame. The factory grips where black.
    W.D.
    IMGP03171.JPG
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Blackhawks,having adjustable sights limits the categories you can shoot in.I believe age-based,and B Western allow them. You can find the shooters' handbook at www.sassnet.com for all the do's and dont's.
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as to 'tuning'. a lot of folks add the super b.hawk hammers,real wide spurs on them.also they modify them so the cylinder can be rotated backwards to facilitate loading.And I hear they make 'short stroke' kits for them now.
    aftermarket springs are almost a given on any Pards' guns.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest getting a revolver that looks like a Colt, without adjustable sights. That way, if you want to branch out into other sixgun sports, such as CFDA, you will already have a qualified gun. It just maximizes your options. [:)]
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Adjustable sights change the class you can compete in vs a fixed sighted model.

You may want to also consider caliber. Many shoot 38's due to the decreased costs of reloading vs 44 or 45 caliber.

My Marlin 1894, repro 1892m and Vaqueros are all 44's. as most of my other personal guns were already in that caliber and I am already set up for it, but reloading costs are starting to change my way of thinking. Also the new Vaqueros are lighter.