In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

"Collectable" 2nd Gen Colt Percussion & #11 Caps

tolinvtolinv Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
I often shoot an original Colt 1st Model Dragoon (mfg 1849). A #10 percussion cap is harder to slip on than a #11 because the shaft of the nipple is wider than the tip. An 11 is shorter and doesn't go as far up the shaft, so it seats better. CCIs do not work on this gun. Remingtons expand more easily as they go on, and they blast apart much better. As to 2nd generation Colt Dragoons, the nipples are not uniformly sized, so caps are slightly loose on some but won't even fit on others. I am convinced that 2nd generation percussion Colts were never made to be fired. Back in the 70's and 80's they were made solely as a marketing ploy for Colt. Colt made/had them made to sit unfired forever, and spent little time on the bench in the final fitting of these guns. I remember back in the 1980's people thought these things were precious and would climb in value over the years. What a crock! The barrel lug on nearly all of them comes from the factory driven only part way in, and if it was driven in properly (which requires considerable fitting) it would close the headspace and the cylinder would bind up. They usually need a trigger job, headspacing, and nipple sizing If they are going to be fired. The main spring on a 2nd generation 1st Model Dragoon is too light for uniform ignition compared to an original. We shouldn't kid ourselves that 2nd -and 3rd generations of course - are any sort of 'investment'. Advertised prices on these are cow cookies; actual sale prices even in'perfect' unfired unturned condition are just about what they sold for more than 30 years ago. Ubertis made in recent decades were made to be fired, not 'collected', and they left the factory in far more reliable condition than Colts. You might try an Uberti if you want to shoot c&b without doing a lot of work to it first. Or just look for a good shooter grade original Navy or Army for $800 - $1000. Yes, shooters ARE available for that kind of dough.

Comments

• swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe you are 100% correct.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I returned a cased 2nd gen pocket police set. The hammer wouldnt reach the nipples. the mould and flask didn't seal and the case and hardware was cigar box quality.
    I do have a Colt 1860 2nd gen stainless army made as good or better than the originals and a stainless Pocket Police by Uberti.
    Uberti has no record of making it. It was a display model in their Connecticut showroom when I bought it.
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:stainless Pocket Police by Uberti.
    Uberti has no record of making it. It was a display model in their Connecticut showroom when I bought it.

Uberti made SS Colts between 1982 and 1987. I've been searching for them for a number of years now & have managed to acquire seven of them so far and know the whereabouts of 19 more.

Here are some of mine:
    015_zps8d14db82.jpg
    edited November -1
    Ken, Are they Colt or Uberti marked?
    As far as I know Colt only made the Army and Navy in Stainless.
    Other 2nd or 3rd gen replicas were carbon steel and brass.
    edited November -1
    They are all marked Uberti. Have date codes, proof marks & A.Uberti Italy on side of frame.
    edited November -1
    I wrote to Alberti in Italy and they replied they have no records of ever producing the 1862 36 Police in stainless.
    My guess is they were preproduction samples, being produced in such a small quantity.
    What is the s/n range and dates of manufacture?
    edited November -1
    Since Beretta bought Uberti, there don't appear to be any records that can accessed in relation to anything they made more than a few years ago. Records from the early '80 probably no longer exist or are buried in some warehouse somewhere that no one goes into anymore. I have been unsuccessful in contacting anyone at Uberti that has any institutional knowledge regarding the SS models.

The seven that I know of (to include yours) were made (and date coded) from 1983 through 1987. Serial numbers are between 116XXX an 124XXX The two Pocket Police I have were made in 1984 and 1985.