In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Advice needed: Uberti 72 Open Top .45LC 7.5"

dblshockdblshock Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
really like the look, any negatives associated with this model? I'm thinking the Army version, already bought a El Paso '49 holster..after a couple boxes of ammo this would see very limited firing.

tia

Comments

• flyingcollieflyingcollie Member Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brother in law has a pair for CAS - (.45 LC) No problems with low power loads. Obviously the open top, wedge the barrel onto the arbor was not as sturdy a design as the full-frame "Peacemaker" that came next, and there are the usual "issues" with repros, each piece has to be taken on its own merits . . . you are your own QC !
  • dblshockdblshock Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thx, have the Uberti El Patron 5.5" .45LC now and it's nice but like the '72 to look at, the 7.5" length has me intrigued enough to try it, hope it's perfect..my belt and ammo stash is all .45LC so wanted to stay with it.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    When I got interested in Open-Top repros, I did a lot of reading. It seems that the ones in .45 have a habit of spitting out the extremely thin web of metal at the bottom of the locking bolt cut. The originals were never made in an inside-lubricated .45, these take about a .475 case. The original .44 Colt used about a .455 diameter case with a heeled bullet, and was introduced for the 1860 Army conversions which had a .45 bore. I decided to go with the .44 Colt, and I have had no problems with them.

An advantage to the design is that you can use a feeler gauge to set the barrel-cylinder gap to anywhere you want it. I set mine to .003-.004, but if you are shooting black powder and have heavy fouling, you can open it up.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    got one in 44 russian...fun gun...no need to load em up to shoot elephants
    edited November -1
    thanks, my ammo belt is looped for .45LC so if I go to .44 Colt will the cartridges fit in the loops properly? and is .44 Colt easy to find?
    edited November -1
    I don't know about the loops, as I use webs, not leather (doesn't tarnish the brass). I find that one size of the web loops holds .44 Colt, 38-40, and .45 Colt securely.

.44 Colt ammo is available from several makers, at about $35 or so per box. I load my own, using Starline brass (you can also use shortened .44 Special or .44 Mag, or shoot the Russian round).

I use 200, 215 and 240 grain bullets of different designs, all at velocities of around 650 - 700 FPS. The .44 Colt uses the standard .429 - .430 diameter bullets, so there is a really wide choice.
    edited November -1
    As a note on Open-Tops, the Army-grips are only available with 7 1/2-inch barrels. All three of mine (two 44's and a 38) are Army-gripped models, but I wanted one with a shorter - about 5" - barrel. Barrels for the Navy-gripped guns can be had in the shorter lengths and will interchange, but I went a different route, and ordered a 7 1/2" barrel in .38, and a spare cylinder. I dovetailed the barrel for a front sight, which gave me the advantage of having a windage-adjustable sight, installed the sight to close alignment with the existing front sight, and then shortened the barrel. Having the spare cylinder enables me to have a caliber-convertible gun in one of the .44's.

Open-Tops are a hoot, and I think they are the most graceful cartridge-gun ever invented. [:)]
    edited November -1
    going to order this weekend, don't know if it's in stock, if not..should I substitute the Uberti for a Cimmeron or Taylors or hold out for the Uberti?

Ordering the .45 Colt 7.5" Army
    edited November -1
    Cimarron and Taylor Open-Tops are Ubertis. The only difference is in the markings.

Cimarron has started having Fratelli Pietta make them a line of 1873 SAA's, in addition to Uberti, and so they may soon have Pietta start making Open-Top copies, too.

Besides the problem with .45 caliber Open-Tops forcing metal out of the bottoms of the locking bolt cuts, I've read that there is a substantial problem with the .45's splitting their forcing cones at the bottom, where the metal is severely thinned for gas ring clearance.
    edited November -1
    Whoa! I thought the .45LC was fine, why would Uberti keep on making this model if it was such a problem?
    edited November -1
    looking into .44 Colt I see two Cimmaron models, .44 Colt/Russian or .44SP/Colt/Russian..which one is best for .44 Colt?
    edited November -1
    Apparently, Uberti continues the .45 chamberings in Open-Tops because of demand, with a lot of people willing to risk problems in order to have an Open-Top in a .45 caliber. I drew the information about Open-Tops from the various cowboy forums.

The first time I saw Open-Tops and Richards conversions in .45, I was a bit astonished that anyone would make a revolver with cylinder walls that were that thin. That was when I decided to look into end-user experiences, and I hadn't yet thought of the closeness of the gas-ring cut in the bottom of the barrel, to the forcing cone. I suggest that you cruise the cowboy action forums for user reports on these specific gun/caliber combinations.

The .44 Open-Tops that I bought are both chambered for .44 Colt, which is .050" shorter than .44 Special. The guns in .44 Special will fire .44 Colt (but not vice-versa), but I did not intend to fire any .44 Specials, anyway. Conventional wisdom is that guns are a little more accurate if the case length is exactly matched to chamber dimensions, but it is a certainty that fouling will accumulate in the chamber at the mouth of shorter cases, which may present difficulty in chambering a longer case unless the fouling is first removed.

Historically, the Open-Tops were never made in .45 Colt. That cartridge was developed for the 1873 SAA.
    edited November -1
    well I did order the .45LC yesterday..Uberti doesn't even offer a .44 now days and the Cimmaron .44 is not available or I would have ordered that

Could very well be some yoyo blew his .45 OT with +P and it went viral on the forum circuit, again, I'd think Uberti would have had these pulled off the market asap had it been systemic and the fact that their only offering it in .45 & .38 just doesn't square with the rumor.

I'm ok with .45LC and I'll keep updating this tread as I break this one in.
    edited November -1
    I'll be interested to know what your experiences are with the Open-Top in .45, as I've never had one. I have to agree that the continued marketing of a gun that amounts to a reputation-wrecker, would be foolhardy. And therefore, that over-pressure loads may be the real culprit.

BTW, there are several Uberti-Cimarrons OT's in .44 on the auction side.
    edited November -1
    Opened my box from Uberti and the pistol generally looks good, fit and finish is not as good as my El Patron in that the ejector tube is loose to the barrel and the frame screw head slots are all ruptured..like the monkey that put it together obviously used the wrong size screwdriver. I'm going to call Uberti and request a new screw set.
    edited November -1
    Uberti replied back to my e.mail promptly with a R/A number and 7-10 working days to resolution. I should probably go fire this before sending it back in case there are any other issues.
    edited November -1
    I'm not liking this, $76.00 to ship back to Benelli because they wouldn't bother to check the fit & finish prior to shipping.
    edited November -1
    Benelli replaced the damaged screws and returned it to me in a week...all good for now.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would download these in any caliber...shoot for fun a lookalike, not intended for a giant killer....
    edited November -1
    my open top 7.5" .45LC w/el paso rig turned out to be a real nice side arm, very happy.
    edited November -1
    found a nice ammo that works great in the 7.5" Open Top and the 5.5" ElPatron..

Georgia Arms G45LE 200gr. JHP speer bonded unicore 1100fps.

both really accurate at 75ft.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    200gr. JHP speer bonded unicore 1100fps.

That;s sounds a little hot for an open top gun????
    edited November -1
    huh, working fine so far though(50 rds), I thought P+ was like 1300-1400 fps
    edited November -1
    Try like 700 to 800 fps with lead bullets.
    How can you even talk about +P's with a 150 year old designed pistol with no top frame.
    Your hand, your eyes.
    edited November -1
    I did cowboy loads and both pistols shoot stupid high with those loads (Rem/Win)..these G.A. nice and flat, right in the center of my gong at 75ft.
    edited November -1
    they don't label these P+ like they do others..

http://www.georgia-arms.com/45-long-colt-1/
    edited November -1
    This is what your gun is made for.
    http://www.georgia-arms.com/new-45-long-colt-250gr-round-nose-flat-point/

Again, your hands, your eyes.

Shoot what ever you what.
    edited November -1
    the report has a serious crack, I like it..to be honest I didn't realize the 1100 fps. til just now posting the info..the
    Open Top seems well composed firing this round, I'm not a plinker or hunter so very light use..thx for the heads-up I'll keep an eye on for stressed parts.
  • 8986pam8986pam Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two of the 1871/72 open top colts in .44 special with 7.5 inch barrels.. I love both of them. they have been good in cowboy matches. I also brought 5 inch barrels for them. (and yes, it took a while to fit them to each frame.) but i've had no problems with either gun. the wedges get loose once in a while and sometimes the ejector housing get loose but my Swisse armyh knife takes care of these little things. they are great little guns.