In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,271 ******
    edited November -1
    Very fine group there drobs! [8D]

The history side of black powder arms got me started over 20 years ago and after a few T\C percussion rifles, I went a step further and bought a custom flintlock long rifle.

That was only the beginning of a fun journey where I started learning how the old rifles and single shot pistols were constructed. Began buying books that now fill much of my home library.

I have never counted, but estimate over the last 15 years have built upwards of 30 flintlock rifles, 3 percussion rifles including one nice half stocked Hawken in the style Sam built around 1860.
    Also several flintlock pistols.

Sold most of the guns I have made or given to family members. I have kept one pistol in 40 caliber, and several long guns in various calibers and styles. Flintlocks have been my favored shooting irons and I try and get out to my backyard range often when the weather is right! All of my deer hunting is also done with a flinter!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is pretty much all I-talian stuff Drobs, you need to get you a Ruger Old Army for some American flavor.[:D]
  • andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love my muzzle loaders. I have a .54 Hawken that can put one ball after another into almost the same hole at 50 yds. BTW, I use the same dry ball method you mentioned. I never go ML shooting without a nipple wrench. That's a whole lot easier than trying to drive a screwtip jag into the lead ball and drag it out the front. Sometimes the powder method takes repeating once or twice to get the ball out, but it will eventually pop out. [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood
    Very fine group there drobs! [8D]

The history side of black powder arms got me started over 20 years ago and after a few T\C percussion rifles, I went a step further and bought a custom flintlock long rifle.

That was only the beginning of a fun journey where I started learning how the old rifles and single shot pistols were constructed. Began buying books that now fill much of my home library.

I have never counted, but estimate over the last 15 years have built upwards of 30 flintlock rifles, 3 percussion rifles including one nice half stocked Hawken in the style Sam built around 1860.
    Also several flintlock pistols.

Sold most of the guns I have made or given to family members. I have kept one pistol in 40 caliber, and several long guns in various calibers and styles. Flintlocks have been my favored shooting irons and I try and get out to my backyard range often when the weather is right! All of my deer hunting is also done with a flinter!

I'm slowly shopping for a flintlock. Following the same plan of a flintlock pistol 1st then rifle. Seems like there are only 2 choices for pistols these days - Traditions of Pedersoli.

There's a gentlemen over at the Firing Line Forum that builds and sells FL rifles. Might have to get a rifle from him. Seems the price range is affordable and he has / builds both right and left hand rifles.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    That is pretty much all I-talian stuff Drobs, you need to get you a Ruger Old Army for some American flavor.[:D]

I haven't ruled out a Ruger OA but still am enjoying the classic replicas. The Ruger Old Army is just a little too modern for me. I do keep an eye on them on the auction side.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andrewsw16
    I love my muzzle loaders. I have a .54 Hawken that can put one ball after another into almost the same hole at 50 yds. BTW, I use the same dry ball method you mentioned. I never go ML shooting without a nipple wrench. That's a whole lot easier than trying to drive a screwtip jag into the lead ball and drag it out the front. Sometimes the powder method takes repeating once or twice to get the ball out, but it will eventually pop out. [:D]

I was amazed how much powder I could actually get in there.

When I was home in December / January I got the rifle on target and the plan was to Deer hunt with it. I geared up, walked into my back field, and saw 2 smaller bucks. Cocked the hammer and both deer ran in 2 different directions from the noise of the hammer being cocked.

Those were the only deer I saw. [:D]

Going back to shooting rifle. I was having problem that I diagnosed after the fact. I bought a bunch of Hornady ball and patches from a sale at Midsouth Shooting Supply earlier in the year.

I was using a lubed patch but didn't read the small print that well. Patches were lubed in a stainless steel oil and are for modern inline rifles.

I could load and shoot 1 shot. Loading the 2nd one I needed to hammer the ball down the barrel. Real PITA. Figured out the lube on the patch was causing extreme fouling. Next trip home will use Dry patches or use a home made lube.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,271 ******
    edited November -1
    I went many years paying for those expensive ready made lubes and found the best was a homemade concoction of 91% alcohol mixed with Murphy's Oil Soap. I use equal amounts of each.

It is also a great barrel cleaner and removes the burnt black powder crud and fowling. After the bore is clean, I dry patch it very well and then lube with RIG grease for long term rust protection.

Ever since I started using the alcohol & Murphy mix for my patch lube, I have very little fowling to contend with even after a full day of shooting!

Regarding custom made flintlock rifles and pistols, there really isn't an inexpensive way to acquire a decent one. The cost of good quality parts has gone threw the roof in recent years. On average, the parts alone will set you back close to a grand or more.

Sure, you may run across a few complete guns for less but the buyer should always beware!! A poor builder can take 1000 dollars worth of parts and turn them into a 300 dollar rifle!! [:0]
    edited November -1
    I've been cleaning with water. Started with a generic windex mixed with water then went to straight water. Used a 5 gal bucked 1/2 full and did the plunger method of cleaning my Lynman barrel.

Was amazed how easy it was.

I still need to get a more BP friendly oil for storage. I ran out of all my gun oil and used the Evil WD40 to put the rifle into storage till next trip home.

I hear Ballistol is the preferred BP gun oil. It's on my to do list for a future order. Haven't gotten around to it yet.

Brookwood, will try your formula out. I made up some felt wads and lube for my BP revolvers out of Beeswax and crisco. Still playing with that lube. Lots of different variations out there.

I also need a metal(brass) range / loading rod. I was using the included Lyman rod for loading and cleaning. Was worried I was going to break it.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    drobs, you got me inspired I got out the old Colt today and fired off a few cylinders.
    That was fun! I reloaded and put it back in the drawer, I use the War of Northern Aggression guns for household defense.

Next, I have a big Howdah pistol I need to fire off, never have shot it but I do have the ammo, it is a .59 caliber. Might shoot that bad boy tomorrow.
    edited November -1
    Allen,
    The Howdah looks like lots of fun. Think I'd try it with some shot loads.

My favorite revolvers are my 1860 Colts w/ BP.

When I was home last I shot a couple of 45 Colt cylinders through my Pietta 1860 Army. Should've tried out the new Remington Sheriff 58 with my conversion cylinder.

Was reading on another forum on Sabots. Might play with some pistol cal bullets in the 54.

http://mmpsabots.com/store/mmp-standard-sabots/
  • ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "How the Colt Navy .36 Revolver was Gunsmithed and Fired in the Field" by D.L. Rhea Copyright 1985 is one source for the boiling water/lye soap practice. It was called Confederate Bluing because the lye turned the bare metal blue/black.

For some reason, this forum is changing

during the Civil
    War

to War of northern Aggresion
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That Lyman is a very decent Hawkin looking plains rifle.

The Old Army was based on the Remington model 1875, I am guessing you like the Civil
    War era guns better?
    edited November -1
    He Dog,

Sorry for the delayed response. I do like CW guns better. The Old Army is just too similar to a Ruger Black Hawk for me. Nothing wrong with the BH but it's too modern for me.

I'd rather have a Ruger Vaquero.
    edited November -1
    drobs, when you are cleaning your pistols after a day of shooting, do you take them completely apart, right down to the hand and the bolt, etc, or do you just clean the cylinder, nipples and the barrel, or what?
    edited November -1
    Allen,

If shooting every day, I'll go 3, maybe 4 days without cleaning. The Colts will keep shooting with a greased arbor / cylinder pin.

Remington 58's need their cylinder face cleaned or they lock up quickly.

When I do clean them, I haven't been fully disassembling the frame. Just flush the barrel, cylinder, and nipples with water. On the 1860 Colts I brush off the arbor and hammer face with water. Follow everything with WD40 then gun oil (if I have any).

I keep waiting to come home to find a pile of rust. Seems this cleaning method has worked so far only being home 2 to 3x per year.
    edited November -1
    OK drobs, so you are putting a lot of rounds through your pistols, yet you don't strip the main pistol down. Just cleaning the barrel and cylinder and nipples.

How long have you been shooting these guns?
    edited November -1
    Note I'm overseas and only home 3x per year.

I wouldn't say that I'm putting a lot rounds through them. I maybe have 400rds total, shot through 3 revolvers over the course of the past 4.5 years.

My pair of Colt 1860's have more rounds through them than the Remingtons. Far more enjoyable to shoot.

I picked up the 5.5 in barrel Remington just before last Christmas and have maybe 3 or 4 cylinders through it.