In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Triple seven FFF black powder

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone ever use this stuff in their muzzle loader??? I just bought three new cans for ten bucks at a flee market.It had a price tag of 22 dollars a can on it. I figured I would give it a try.Coundnt beat the price.

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    only misfires I ever had were with the imitations, I only use black powder, good luck.......
  • GatofeoGatofeo Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hodgdon 777 should not be used in brass-framed revolvers. Hodgdon says so in its website or on the can, can't recall which.
    Brass-framed revolvers can't take a lot of pressure without damage to the frame, brass being softer than steel.
    But 777 should work okay in other arms, including steel-framed cap and ball revolvers.
    However, 777 should not be used as a black powder equal, like Pyrodex is. Hodgdon suggests you reduce 777 fifteen percent. See the Hodgdon site for full information. Hodgdon has trained ballisticians and modern equipment to measure pressures and identify problems.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not shoot brass frame revolvers period but that is my choice. Been using 777 for years and like it just fine. Also use black when I choose to. Whatever you are shooting at will more than likely never know the difference.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use it in my T/C Omega and in 44 mag pistol. It works great with modern primers.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iam going to use it in a T/C Omega 50 cal.
  • redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use 90 gr. in my Omega, my omega likes it
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I've tried tripple 7 but don't care for it.
    I find it difficult to ignite, so I switched to
    Blackhorn 209 which is outstanding for the 209
    ignition.
    I know longer have an inline,(gave my Omega
    to my godson, it's like shooting a singleshot 30-30)
    I've gone back to the traditional ML,
    so now I shoot a Renegade and Seneca using
    Pyrodex RS.
    I've never used blackpowder,someday I'll give it
    a chance.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a great product. You got it for a GREAT price. I've used it in all my muzzle loader long guns for about 10 years. Great BP substitute. No problems at all, except the crud ring ... just clean it out barrel from time to time.
  • jess69jess69 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love the stuff, and it was a great price. The only warning I would give is keep it tightly closed. 777 is Hygroscopic(I think that is the word), which means it quickly draws moisture. It will turn into a slimy mess overnight if left exposed.
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    777 s not blackpowder, it is a substitute....
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right you are ... 777 is a BP substitute. And a very good one, I might add!
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    Right you are ... 777 is a BP substitute. And a very good one, I might add!

The 1968 song says it best...."Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing".......[:)]
  • XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use 15% less 777 than BP or Pyrodex to get the same velocity. That came from Hodgden literature. FFF give me better cocsostancy then 2f powder.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been using it for years. Works great. You got a great deal. As said, not for brass framed revolvers and follow the loading instruction. Gives higher velocity than Black powder.