In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Remote Girl

roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
Just wondering if posting this would get me banished???
Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.

Comments

• roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK ... for real two questions. One I got an old trapdoor and its a .45-70. I will shoot BP but have heard some folks are shooting smokeless "cowboy" loads?? Should I stick srictly to BP???

Next I ordered a .32 squirel BP rifle and wonder what charge of BP I should start with. and projectile?

Thanks...
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Look in the book for a light TrailBoss load for your Trap Door.
    35 grains FFF for you 32 will be plenty for a round ball.
    W.D.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember an old gent telling me once, start at the grain of powder equal to the caliber, and don't excede double the caliber....... the perfect load is in the middle somewhere.
    edited November -1
    OK Thanks

so Trailboss is smokeless???

I will be posting somewhat often as I have just...

1)got a single stage press (hornaday)

and 2) Been shooting factory loads and cant wait to roll some.

First is the .45-70. I am thinking of 50 gr of bp
    next batch i will load up some with 60...

The springfield was profed w 80. but that was over a hunnert yr ago. I think there will be a 65 or some hunting load.

I am first loading 405 gr rnfp and also have some 350 with an alloy and a "brass"colored plate that may be an tin alloy, Will advise

RN

Last question... Mag rifle primers are a suitable sub for rifle primers in a .45-70 I am not assuming anything
    edited November -1
    You need to read Mike "Duke" Venturino's book on black powder cartridge loading.
    You CANOT leave any dead air space in a black powder cartridge when loading, fill it totaly full, compress the powder when seating the bullet. If a lesser amount of powder is desired, use over powder wads to take up the space. Powder should be loaded through a drop tube, glass works best. The drop tube will aid in compresing the powder in the case befor seating the bullet.
    These steps are critical, failure to properly load black powder shells will result in damage to you Springfield.
    Educate yourself befor starting.
    W.D.
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would stick with real bp. The trapdoor is not the strongest action out there, but should work well with the low pressures of bp. Trail Boss is a fast burning powder which works well in the pistols of the cowboy action folks; however, the pressures it produces are, in my opinion, on the high side for the velocity achieved in the suggested rifle loadings. I would not use it in a vintage trapdoor.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 70 means 70 grains of black. However, today's cases are solid head while many of yesterday's cases, till about mid '60s, were folded head.
    Folded head cases had greater capacity and could take their full designated loads.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I had an original 1873 Trapdoor rifle that I used a modest charge of Unique in, with a 405-grain cast bullet. If I remember right, the velocity was about 1200 fps. Everything worked fine.

BTW, I tried speed-shooting it with cartridges stuck between my fingers for rapid reloading, as I read that it had been a technique that was used in the late 1800's. I ended up with more loaded rounds on the ground, than empties. Maybe they just practiced a lot [:)].
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load mine with pyrodex, using an overpowder wad I get about 62 grains by volume into a modern 45-70 case. PS where is remote girl, thats what I came here for! [:p]quote:Originally posted by v35
    the 70 means 70 grains of black. However, today's cases are solid head while many of yesterday's cases, till about mid '60s, were folded head.
    Folded head cases had greater capacity and could take their full designated loads.
    edited November -1
    8437433983_229f5134c2_m.jpg

OK OK now that we have your attention I have a question as to the charge of ffg in a 58 cal precussion pistol with a 12 in barrel..

AND is there any issue with pressure in an older gun if you use a larger than ball projectile? IE shooting a .58 minie ball with twice the gr. size???

ROs
    edited November -1
    That is not her best angle.[;)]
    W.D.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Did I just step through a time-warp and lose about ten years-or what??
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it has been decided you are not old and mature enough to see the right half of the picture...you will thank us later after an appropriate time of reflection....
    edited November -1
    I qualifie for the old part, mature, well, that's still open to discussion.[;)]
    W.D.
  • area51guyarea51guy Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trapdoor loads..........

The original load for this rifle was a 500 grain 45 caliber lead bullet. I had a Model 1884 ( I think) that I shot quite a bit. Used everything from original Frankfort arsenal loads to hand loads to store bought. Just stay away from "high performance" loads, use a 400 - 500 grain lead bullet and keep the velocity around 1200 fps. While I did shoot some jacketed bullets in my rifle, that practice is not very good for the bore life. Happy shooting!

area51guy