In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1858 BP revolver grips size

bdreissbdreiss Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
I have a Remington 1858 New Army 44 by Pietta. My pinky finger has hardly any space to go on the grip. I have not shot the firearm yet needing some 44 balls and how much powder to use.

I am wondering how much it kicks and will the smaller grip hinder my shooting. Does anyone know of larger grips that would extend the grip longer? Since the bottom of the grips are flush with the frame, the grips could be 1 piece and cover the bottom of the frame.

Does any of this make sense? God gave me large hands but I ain't complaining. Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Recoil is very mild in black powder revolvers. With 25 to 35 grains of powder and a round ball, recoil is less than a .38 Special. The old grip frames are small. Maybe some of the custom grip makers offer larger grips. Or, you could carve a set yourself. Or, get another set of grips and glue on an extension. Modern glues are very strong.
  • Options
    bdreissbdreiss Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the quick reply. Also thanks for the lesson on kick backs. I wondered about that hoping it was not as bad as my 54 cal. I can only shoot that 10-12 times then I am done for the day :-)
    As far as your grip ideas, I thought about some kind fit over thingy but it is wide at the bottom, not at the top:-(
    Making something crossed my mine but I have no wood working equipment here. I am in Florida and my folks in WNY. Maybe I can talk my dad into trying it.
    Anyway, thanks for the info.
    God bless,
    Bill