In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bird's Head grips (Uberti) questions

oldbuckaroooldbuckaroo Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
Do any of you SASS or CAS guys have any strong opinions one way or the other regarding Bird's Head grips vs. "standard" SAA grips on the Uberti revolvers. Are they more comfortable to shoot and easier on the hands with hotter .357 magnum loads? Do they give you any edge on a faster aim? Are they suitable for practicing "fast draw"? Does anybody make stag or other exotic Bird's Head grips specifically to fit the Uberti backstrap/frame?
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Much obliged.

Comments

• longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Beretta Stampede with birdshead grip. The roundness of the grip will make the gun slide upward your hand. The hotter the load the more it will slide upward. It does feal comfortable in your hand.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Here is a picture of my first model Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt.
    This gun came from the factory with the case colored frame and birds head grip. My good friend Dan Saunders gave me the faux ivory grips with my brand scrimshawed on them.
    I mostly shoot lighter loads loaded with Trail Boss powder in this gun.
    W.D.
    IMGP03171.JPG
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I find that the Cimarron 'Thunderer' grip is just as comfortable and pointable as the standard model P grip. I thought that the projecting 'hump' at the top of the backstrap might make recoil a bit more uncomfortable with full-house loads, but that is not the case.

The Cimarron profile, which resembles the original Colt pattern, is, to me, more aesthetically pleasing than the completely rounded versions found on some other brands.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    The grips on the Uberti you are talking about, are a copy of the Colt Lightning and Thunder, not the Colt Peacemaker. I have a 1906 vintage Colt Peacemaker in 38-40, 4" barrel and birds head grip. The grip looks just like the grip on the pictured Ruger. The Colt Peacemaker I'm referring to belonged to my great uncle.
    W.D.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I don't think it is an option on the Uberti revolvers, Bisley grips are better at managing felt recoil than either birds head or standard grips. The straighter grip puts more of the recoil straight back into your hand with less muzzle rise.