In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Loading directly from flask

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
Anyone know first hand of a flask going off from loading a percussion gun (pistol. rifle or shotgun) directly from a flask?
The Paterson multi spout flask was made for direct loading.

Comments

• ken44-40ken44-40 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not I.

I know of individual charges being set off in a muzzleloading rifle or single shot pistol; but have never had first hand reports of a flask grenading. It's always been some ones uncle's brother's next door neighbor's co-worker or something.
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    I used to Get Loaded Directly From a Flask
    OH Sorry thought this Was the Discussion Forums
    My bad[;)]
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not a good idea ... and I don't want to be the first guy to show the reason why!

Just like blowing down the barrel to clear the smoke. [V]
  • firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wherever I shoot, loading directly from a flask or horn is not allowed; nor do I allow it on my private range. So I do not have nor do I ever want to have first-hand experience with any such mishaps. And I seriously doubt that there is a database for such a thing.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The main problem with pouring directly from the horn is that the powder is a continuous stream from the bottom of the barrel to the contents of the horn, thus an ember in the barrel sets off the entire powder container. SO, if the horn had a system of measuring, and thus separated the measured powder from the stored powder, it would add measurably to the safety of the loading process. However, we used to demonstrate igniting black powder in the barrel as part of the hunter education course, and I would not want the igniting part to occur while I was holding a pound of powder at the end of the barrel, separated or not.

So while a modified measuring system may be SAFER, it probably wouldn't be considered SAFE.