In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

another black powder real black question

perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
Hello has any one ever done any pressure testing between ff powder and FFF powder[?]I have always heard that smaller calibers should use FFF grade powder 32 38 & maybe even 45 Caliber but should use FF powder on 50 caliber and up . I have a 54 Caliber landcaster PENN style long rifle FLINT LOCK . will FFF powder with patched round ball cause any problems [?]

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Per the"Lyman Blackpowder Handbook" pg. 85, there is a definet velocity and pressure increase using fffg powder. They tested a .54 cal. pressure barrel. "Pressure, while up. is not at all alarming."
    fffg produced less fouling.
    140 gr 2f = 1779 fps 8500 LUP
    100 gr 3f = 1740 fps 11700 LUP
    40 gr diff = 39 fps 3200 LUP

160 gr 3f = 2153 fps 15000 CUP
    160 gr 2f = 1898 fps 11300 CUP

I'm sure There is an article in Muzzle Blasts about that and if I run across it I will keep you in mind.
    They were not concerned about a 3000 to 5000 pressure increase.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Thanks this is a well made well maintained flint lock made with good quality parts by a man that has skills . I purchased from estate of original owner. I had had a TC 45 caliber That I could not get to group. And had lots of FFF powder first time I took it out to zero I had adjustable powder measure that I had cut down for the TC 45 Cal so put it at the largest amountof powder first shots at 25 yards were 3 inches to the left so I kept adjusting sights got zero correct after about 10 shots and first 5 shots went into a 3.25 inch group at 100 yards. I have never changed the power charge since never even took the time to weigh the charge. . I got a deer with it each year for the first 28 years and took a hind quarter to the man who built the rifle The next 2 years never saw a deer during the 2 week early season but did get one this year. Now within the last 3 weeks two differentpeople have told me I should check the charge and quit useing FFF powder in this large of a bore I weighed the charge and it is just over 100 grains That is why I asked the question Thanks Karl AKA PERRY SHOOTER
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use FFF in my flintlock mainly because I use it in the primer pocket instead of flash powder, a local muzzleloading shop once told if you used FFF instead of FF just lower the load by at least 20%. I usually shot 100 grains of FF now shoot 75 FFF I use it in all my muzzleloader even my inlines now it is easier than having two powders on hand. I use 75grns in my inlines also. I don't check muzzle velocities or anything like that, but it does kill deer, and doesn't kill the shoulder.

I also use it in my revolver, seems to kick a little harder but can only stuff about 25 grains in cylinder so I don't worry.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    I also shoot 3F Goex BP in my 54 caliber flintlock rifle using smaller powder loads than I would use with 2F black powder.

I did quite a bit of target practice testing various amounts of powder charges, starting at 60 grains and increasing each load 5 grains at a time.

I only shoot spit or greased pillow ticked patched round balls through this slow twist rifle barrel and found the most accurate load to be 80 grains shooting out to 50 yards. (which is my heavily wooded hunting zone)

I have found that every barrel has it's own particular sweet spots where loads are concerned. It is up to the shooter to enjoy the detail's of finding just what your barrel does best with.
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    I always shot FFFg in my .54.
    On my smoothbores, .60 and up I used FFg.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brookwood
    I also shoot 3F Goex BP in my 54 caliber flintlock rifle using smaller powder loads than I would use with 2F black powder.

I did quite a bit of target practice testing various amounts of powder charges, starting at 60 grains and increasing each load 5 grains at a time.

I only shoot spit or greased pillow ticked patched round balls through this slow twist rifle barrel and found the most accurate load to be 80 grains shooting out to 50 yards. (which is my heavily wooded hunting zone)

I have found that every barrel has it's own particular sweet spots where loads are concerned. It is up to the shooter to enjoy the detail's of finding just what your barrel does best with.

I have experimented with such and:

I've found that some small caliber rifles prefer the 2F type for consistent accuracy, but I use a primer charge of few grains of 3F if the ignition system is old style.