In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Building smooth bore ML.. 28ga or 20ga

zeepoolzeepool Member Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
I'm considering building another muzzleloader but this time I want a smooth bore. Just wondering what cal it should be. Not sure about accuracy of round ball etc... any help would be great.

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First question is what do you want to do with it? Hunting squirrels? Deer? Punching paper? Form follows function, so to speak.
  • zeepoolzeepool Member Posts: 370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    First question is what do you want to do with it? Hunting squirrels? Deer? Punching paper? Form follows function, so to speak.

I think smooth bore would indicate I'm interested in shooting shot, so that means birds. I suppose you could shoot squirrels. For round ball, I understand the balistics are not too good through smooth bore but perhaps someone on here knows better.... the reason for the question. I already have .45 ML BTW
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fusils were smooth bore and used for shot or balls. Thought maybe you were a reinactor. My choice would be 20 guage. Little extra margin...
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a neat project. Where would you find a plan for it?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    Sounds like a neat project. Where would you find a plan for it?

I don't use plans. Just buy the barrel, lock, and hunk of wood. After looking at all the parts, you'll surly know what to do. Tracing out stock camber from existing rifle is recommended. Buying precarved stock with barrel inletted will cut time in half. Auger bits and drill work great for inletting lock. Other than that, it's pretty easy. Just takes time.
    edited November -1
    Forstner bits rather than auger. Use candle carbon to aid lock and barrel inletting.
  • StaffordSamStaffordSam Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi zeepool, if you can...post up some pictures of your work. I like stuff like this. Some day, I want to build my own black powder guns.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by StaffordSam
    Hi zeepool, if you can...post up some pictures of your work. I like stuff like this. Some day, I want to build my own black powder guns.

I'm working on this right now. My goal is to build a couple of things I've never built before. Last summer I built stand up paddle board. So long you have tools you can do much at less cost.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=500914